Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local plastics company has the Sintra sheet in 4' x 8' sheets which is all i would need, but they only have the 1/8 inch thickness of this Sintra sheet for $54, otherwise for a 1/4 inch i would have to special order it at double the cost which i not to keen on that, would this 1/8 inch be thick enough and durable enough for a 92 inch screen, as care will be taken of the sheet as there are no children around..thanks for any advice. :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I've never seen the 1/8" Sintra, but I think you would need to build a support frame for it. The beauty of the 1/4" Sintra is that it is thick enough so all you have to do is attach a French Cleat to the back and hang it on the wall. Either thickness will take paint just fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen the 1/8" Sintra, but I think you would need to build a support frame for it. The beauty of the 1/4" Sintra is that it is thick enough so all you have to do is attach a French Cleat to the back and hang it on the wall. Either thickness will take paint just fine.
Thank you very much for this info as i greatly appreciate it, i am going over to this place to take a look at this 1/8" thick Sintra and see how it stands up to bending etc, maybe i might have to bite the bullet and order the 1/4" thick one as it might be worth the extra cost, or i could put the 1/8" one right on the wall as it would be supported this way and pin the corners to the wall as i will be putting on a black border to hide these pins. :ponder:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
You could screw the 1/8" Sintra directly to the wall as long as the wall is flat. Over time the thinner Sintra would tend to bend and shape itself to the wall if there are any irregularities, it is a thermoplastic you know. Lots of people use it to make their own Star Wars armor and other "hard shell" costuming.

To save money another thought would be to sandwich the 1/8" Sintra with a sheet of 1/8" tempered hardboard to get similar stability as a sheet of 1/4" Sintra. :huh: Ask your plastics supplier about suitable adhesives.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If you are worried about it just adhere some straight one by material to the back to firm it up, or as Harp stated, the 1/8" hardboard. If you wanted to be extra sure you could by some type of aluminum channel (whatever you can find locally that's cheap) and adhere that to the back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks as i was thinking the same thing to put a thin piece of hardwood or other means as you guys mentioned, i will forsure check on those things or i might just lean towards buying the 1/4 inch Sintra and then i will be good to go, but i will ask them at the place they have this Sintra and see if they have something to strengthen it a bit..thanks for all you help so far on this. :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Also, be SURE to check the sheet of Sintra for scratches, scuffs, marks and gouges. Some people have been burned by bringing home a sheet only to discover it was damaged. You only need one good side unless you are doing a "flippy screen" where both sides are used as a screen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, be SURE to check the sheet of Sintra for scratches, scuffs, marks and gouges. Some people have been burned by bringing home a sheet only to discover it was damaged. You only need one good side unless you are doing a "flippy screen" where both sides are used as a screen.
Will do and thanks for the tip. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts