Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I recently bought acoustic treatment from GIK (4 tri-traps and 3 244 panels) and the differences the tri-traps made was night and day in the low-end. However putting two 244 panels behind my main speakers made them sound much, much better.

Everything I put on the system, whether it's music or movies sounds much clearer with better separation. Turning the volume up now makes things sound better, with less clutter. But I still feel it could sound better at higher volumes.

As good as the bass sounds now, there are some occasions at higher levels where bass instruments tend to give this 'booing' effect on music. The ringing and boom has been reduced significantly, especially higher up after treatment was put in, but it hasn't been mitigated at higher levels. I suppose the higher the volume, the more these artifacts will creep in, whether it be some kind of resonance or ringing.

Here are just a couple of pics to show the layout of the room. I've been chatting with Bryan via PM and I think these pics might give him a better idea of what is happening. I would like fellow members who have treated their rooms to tell me what made the biggest difference to them as far as placement of their panels is concerned.

Did you find the sound improved significantly when putting panels on the side wall reflection points ? Behind the speakers ? On the back wall ? Ceiling ? Any observations would be appreciated.

Forgive me for the low quality pics, they were taken on a very old camera :

The front of the room, tri-traps stacked from floor to ceiling in the two front corners. I don't have the 244 panels positioned behind the front speakers. There is a cabinet in the way so it makes things look awfully untidy if I straddle the traps behind the speakers. But it works wonders when I do !

As you can see from this pic, I can't put any panels in between the speakers and where I'm sitting as the wall opens to a kitchen on the left side. However I have tried putting a 244 panel directly to the side of me, where you see the big mirror. I elevated the height of the panel by using a small stand. Made no difference to me.

You can see on the right side below the surround speaker, empty wall space. I tried putting a 244 there but it made little to no difference at all.

I've tried putting two 244 panels on two chairs as a temporary solution and, again, it made little to no difference. I don't know if they should be raised more but I pretty much put them up at slightly above ear level height as far back against the wall behind me as possible. The door behind the chairs is always open as you see it.

Bryan, perhaps you can see where I'm going wrong or offer your advice as to what I can do to mitigate these reflections that otherwise cause this acoustic 'clutter'. After putting in the tri-traps and the two 244 panels behind the speakers, I've noticed that my room isn't nearly as harsh as it was before. But I don't want it to sound too dead and I'm scared of making it sound lifeless if I add more panels. What are my options ?

Regards,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Vaughan,

Is there any chance you can move your subwoofer out and away from the corner, mabe along A side wall?..
This will definitely help with reducing boomy bass due to corner loading...

Cheers...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Start by moving the speakers out from the cabinet and TV as far as possible. Most of your problem with reflections are likely there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cinema mad said:
Is there any chance you can move your subwoofer out and away from the corner, mabe along A side wall?..
The sub is about 1/2 meter away from the corner boundary. I could try moving it out a little more out so that it's further away. As for the side-wall suggestion, I think I should start dreaming. :D I'm getting enough grief as it is. Heh.

Thanks !

Regards,

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lcaillolcaillo said:
Start by moving the speakers out from the cabinet and TV as far as possible. Most of your problem with reflections are likely there.Start by moving the speakers out from the cabinet and TV as far as possible. Most of your problem with reflections are likely there.
Thanks for the suggestion but when I place the panels behind the speakers, they're already more than 1m away from the cabinet. I would have assumed that would be sufficient distance away from the wall.

I won't be able to move them further than that. Thanks for the suggestion !

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
In your particular situation, the panels behind the speakers are not only dealing with SBIR and surround reflections from the rears, they're also helping to control the resonances being built up in the cavities of the entertainment center/shelving.

Each of those cavities has it's own resonance that can mask detail, cause a bloated midbass throgh lower mids, etc.

Bryan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bryan,

So, besides placing the panels behind the speakers, where else could I possibly put panels to reduce SBIR and resonances/ringing ?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
SBIR is purely a function of behind and directly beside the speakers. You dont' really have an option for side wall reflections with an opening on 1 side and windows/curtains on the other.

The rear wall directly on each side of the open door will give a bit of bass control in the rear of the room and help a bit with general decay time.

With the hard floor, some panels on the ceiling would be a benefit in general decay time control but not sure if that's an option. You just don't have a lot of other places to work with.

Bryan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comments Bryan ! I think I'll try perhaps a pair of Monster traps for behind me on the wall and a custom 244 for the center speaker. I'm sure the Monster traps would make more of a difference than the 244's would, especially behind me with respect to decay times and dealing with possible resonances.

The big white cabinet is going to be sold soon as well so I can then put a custom 244 trap behind the center speaker. As far as the side wall reflection, that is the only thing which disappoints me because I'm told that it will give greater focus and even cleaner more detailed sound but I can't do anything about it.

Thing is, since the kitchen opening is almost right where the left front speaker is, would there have been any real benefit for an absorption panel there in the first place ? If one panel was put besides the right front speaker, covering the windows, do you think that would have made much difference ?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You can potentially do a panel on the right side. That will reach more into the dialog range than just the curtains. The other side with the kitchen, there's nothing to reflection off of - other than very late ones bouncing in the kitchen and then back out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. Thanks again for your help. I'll email for a quote on the Monsters and custom 244.

Thanks. And sorry for being such a nuisance.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I would do the following:

1. Get rid of that cabinet and replace it with a small TV rack. Yes, it's about time to get serious with the sound. :bigsmile: Then you can place two 244s in the first reflection points on the front wall.

2. Place two bass traps (244s or Monster Traps) on the rear wall.

3. Buy three 242s. Two of them you can place on the first reflections on the ceiling. The third one you can either place between the two on the ceiling or on the one sidewall as Bryan mentioned.

Remember that 242 are a different product then 244s and Monsters. The 242s absorp all the way up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was thinking of getting either 2 more Monster traps or another pair of 244's. My reasoning is that those traps reach down deeper than the 242's and I need as much bass trapping as I can afford, right ? Bass issues are hardest to control and if I can use the 244 or Monster then I think I should go for maximum absorption down low.

Because I'm thinking that by the time I've added those traps, the high-end would have at least been tamed enough. If I add a bunch of 242's they might absorb too much in the high-end. At least, I'm assuming that might happen. Perhaps Bryan or anyone can explain why 242's would be beneficial over the 244's or Monster traps besides being less expensive. :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Well, you don't have any panels that absorb the high freq and 100% of the midrange today. You really need both. I agree though that you shouldn't use too many of panels that absorb all the way up. But again, you don't have any in first reflection points today and you need some. Tri-traps absorb all the way, but they are placed in the corners. 244s are a membrane panels that mostly reflect the high freq. I would use 242s on the ceiling, first reflection points. That may be enough, and then you can use 244s, Tri-traps and Monsters other places. Bass trapping in very important in a small room, but some absorption of highs is also needed and vital.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply, omholt. Doesn't the 244 and Monster traps absorb sound at the high-end too, just not as much as the 242's ?

If I put 242's at the first reflection points vs 244 panels, wouldn't the 244's absorb a similar amount into the mid-range but also more bass control up in the higher bass (like from 100 Hz up to 500 hz ? ) I'm not against the idea of getting 242's, I'm just trying to understand how it would benefit my situation.

I mean, if one just had 244's in the first reflection points, in the corners, on the back wall, etc, would that not be enough ? Just asking. Thanks again for replies.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Correct. The 244 and Monster don't just brick wall at say 500 Hz. They roll off gradually. Even at 4k, they're still about 25% absorbent.

That said, 242's are generally preferred for side wall reflection duties.

Bryan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bryan, what would I expect by adding 242's to the room ? Like if I put them up at the ceiling reflection points ? What would change ?

Focus ? Reducing the level of confusion within the sound at higher levels ? I don't have any idea. I don't know what problems are caused at very high frequencies so I don't know what to look out for (besides echoes and there aren't echoes per se in my room, but I can tell that when clapping my hands, the sound doesn't die out immediately..)

I want my system to be used for music and home theater.

Regards,

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is preferable for high-end absorption to be placed on the ceiling or would it rather be recommended to use a trap that has good bass absorption ?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
242's on the ceiling will give some better focus and screen lock as well as providing good general decay time control. At reflection points, 242's would be preferable. 244's would be better if directly over the seating to deal with any height related bass response issues.

Bryan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldnt the back wall reflection point need the most absorption in the low end as possible ? Do your 242 panels have no membrane installed ? Just wondering, because if they absorb basically all high frequency reflections then I would imagine no membrane could be used othrewise higher frequencies might be reflected back into the room.

So you're saying that 242's are better than 244's for reflection points like behind the speakers, side walls, back wall and ceiling ?

Regards,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts