Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
here is my situation. With REW help I try to EQ my 5.1 channel with this set of filters provided by my Rotel receiver for each channels.
I have tried to EQ 5 channels and it is a mess.
My main needs is a rational procedure to progress one step at a time.
The main challenge is that my front left room side is not symetric with right side. The front left main is partly in an open space. So the sound stage is shifted to the right front. YPAO (when I had a Yamaha) succedded to place the SS&I in the middle.
I can not for the moment find the right sttings for the filters suggested by REW for each channels.
The filters I have are:
BAND 1 Freq :20Hz - 80Hz, 1Hz Step Default 40 Hz
BAND 2 Freq: 20Hz - 80Hz, 1Hz Step Default 60 Hz
BAND 3 Freq: 81Hz - 140Hz, 1Hz Step Default 100 Hz
BAND 4 Freq: 81Hz - 140Hz, 1Hz Step Default 120 Hz
BAND 5 Freq: 141Hz - 200Hz, 1Hz Step Default 160 Hz
BAND 6 Freq: 1110Hz - 1550 Hz, 10Hz Step Default 1300 Hz
BAND 7 Freq: 1560Hz - 2000 Hz, 10Hz Step Default 1750 Hz
BAND 8 Freq: 2.1kHz - 8kHz, 100Hz Step Default 4k Hz
BAND 9 Freq: 8.1kHz - 14kHz, 100Hz Step Default 10k Hz
BAND 10 Freq: 14.1kHz - 20kHz, 100Hz Step Default 16k Hz
Q : 1 - 24
Gain : -12dB - 0 - +3dB
The Q is not dependent of the frequency.

Here are the measures.
View attachment filtres mic 1 position.mdat

When I choose a set of filters for the 5.1 channel and test it with my favorite cd or blu-ray, I can not find where to go after to improve the results. If I change the filters sometimes I get a little plus sometimes things are going worst but I can not find which change made the difference and so on.

Best choice in speakers placement have been made (thanks to REW !) in the circumstances and no more room treatment are waf permitted.
I began with equing the sub. I think I've got a relatively good result.

After that what? Should I EQ all channels between 65hz to 200hz at first? Or is it better to try to EQ the fronts without the center and the surrounds? Wil eq the center and the surrounds after equing the fronts will change the response of the fronts? etc.

Maybe more experienced members have developped a kind of procedure of trials and errors with REW EQ to find the best filters?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi I am at work and haven't got REW loaded

Do not over EQ not too many filters x 6 should be enough, you aren't looking for a flat response, it kills the SS & I
Generally you should EQ from 0-250hz (using no smoothing) via left and right combined then from there up (250-20,000hz) using separate left and right filters.
With bass EQ look at the waterfall that gives you frequencies that exceed this will be obvious.

·
Super Moderator
9,286 Posts
I can not for the moment find the right sttings for the filters suggested by REW for each channels.
As with any equalizer not supported by REW, your best bet is to just use the RTA feature and adjust filters in real-time as best you can with the equalization capabilities available. Just keep in mind that the goal is improved sound quality, not perfectly flat response. To that end, pay the most attention to the worst issues – say, peaks or troughs ~4-5 dB or greater – and ignore issues smaller than that. Keep in mind that deep and narrow “nulls” cannot be improved, so don’t bother.

For the L/R mains, it’s probably best to run them both simultaneously to start, and use identical filters for both speakers above ~300 Hz. If you use independent filters above that point, you’ll find that the imaging will be compromised. Below 300 Hz you can use independent filters for the left and right. This should help with the issue of the left speaker being in an open space.

For the center channel, there is no imaging issue, so EQ as needed to smooth response. If your receiver permits I’d advise high-passing at ~200 Hz. This will eliminate male voices being “boomy,” common programming problem.

For the rears, again no imaging issues. EQ as needed.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I will try some but, unfortunatly, when I go in the main menu to change the gain or the q of one filter, it mutes the sound so no RTA possible.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have put my measures in my first post and so maybe someone could taka a look at the filters I have in my receiver and tell me if I am in the right direction, if it not to asking for.

A precision (although the answer maybe obvious for somebody). Let us suppose that I check with REW the result of the current filter (as in the file) and I found some differences. The way I understand the next step is that I can not ask to REW EQ an other set of filters and put it right in the receiver. For example if I had set for the sub
FR 45hz Q 3 Gain -4
at the first time and, after a second measurement to check the result, REW suggest a new setting at this frequency let's say
Q 5 gain +1.
What do I do to make the correction? I average of the old filter and the new ?
= FR 45hz Q 4 gain -3 ?:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
9,286 Posts
I’d just “add” the new recommendations. That said, gain changes of < 2-3 dB won’t even be audible, so if the second recommendation was only 1 dB (as in your example) I wouldn’t bother with it.

Given the limitations of your receiver, you have your work cut out for you, doing this one sweep at a time, speaker by speaker. I think I’d just bail and get a more EQ-friendly receiver...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,286 Posts
I’d just “add” the new recommendations. That said, gain changes of 2-3 dB or less won’t even be audible, so if the second recommendation was only 1 dB (as in your example) I wouldn’t bother with it

Given the limitations of your receiver, you have your work cut out for you, doing this one sweep at a time, speaker by speaker. I think I’d just bail and get a more EQ-friendly receiver...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d just “add” the new recommendations. (...)

Regards,
Wayne
...or put NanoAvr-DL between Cambridge blu-ray player and the Rotel ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts