Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried a 414 with REW? I have a B-ULS (ultra linear series) that's just been calibrated, so I'm wondering.....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You would need a calibration file dedicated for that mic. otherwise you will get undesirable readings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would need a calibration file dedicated for that mic. otherwise you will get undesirable readings.
Thank you for the reply! I have a printout from AKG. Maybe I can get a file from them.
I know that you can calibrate REW to your sound card. Is there a way to make a calibration file
if I can't get one?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have little knowledge on how to make the calibration file but if you have the sheet on the AKG you should be able to make one, hopefully someone with more knowledge on that side of things will chime in soon.
calibrating the sound cars is another step that must be done keep the mic out of the loop for that procedure. they are two different things all together dont get them confused.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have little knowledge on how to make the calibration file but if you have the sheet on the AKG you should be able to make one, hopefully someone with more knowledge on that side of things will chime in soon.
calibrating the sound cars is another step that must be done keep the mic out of the loop for that procedure. they are two different things all together dont get them confused.
Thanks for the reply. Even though I'd never buy a LDC mic for an RTA, the 414 B-ULS seems
like it would be a good option (since I own one), so I'd like to try.

I'm going to start toying with REW with my RS SPL meter and my soundcard line in.
Are those RS meter reading accurate?

Thx

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The RS meter is good for readings between 15Hz up to about 6kHz above that it falls off quite poorly.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I have a printout from AKG. Maybe I can get a file from them.
I know that you can calibrate REW to your sound card. Is there a way to make a calibration file
if I can't get one?

Thx.
A calibration file is no more than an ANSI text file you can make with Notepad. It contains a series of lines with the first entry a frequency, and the second entry a deviation from flat in decibels. The filename has the form name.cal

Here is a fragment of ecm8000.cal:
10.0 -8.60
11.2 -6.98
12.5 -5.48
14.0 -4.17
16.0 -3.05
18.0 -2.13
20.0 -1.40
22.4 -0.88
25.0 -0.54
28.0 -0.32
31.5 -0.20
35.5 -0.09
40.0 -0.01
45.0 0.07
50.0 0.11
56.0 0.16
63.0 0.16
71.0 0.14
80.0 0.11
90.0 0.07
100.0 0.05

REW will interpolate the frequencies between the entries.

A note about measurement microphones: They are a specialized application where the most critical spec is omnidirectionality. This is critical since one cannot control the direction the sound comes from while equalizing. Calibration files cannot correct for the directionality problem, since they only are correct at zero incidence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. Wow, that's a lot of typing! Good to know that I have the option though.
As for the omni requirement, the 414 is an excellent omni mic. I've recorded with it in omni mode,
and no matter how you spin the capsule off axis to the source, it sounds the same! More so than
I though could be possible. With that said, it won't replace an earthworks for RTA duties. Just wondering if it's a viable or tested option.

It's one of the most common studio mics. I would have figured that lots of people had tried it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John, I'm going to look into that. I hope I get some "me" time to play with all of this great stuff over the next few days.

BTW, it'a a wonderfull thing that you've done for everyone with your software.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Wow, that's a lot of typing! Good to know that I have the option though.
As for the omni requirement, the 414 is an excellent omni mic. I've recorded with it in omni mode,
and no matter how you spin the capsule off axis to the source, it sounds the same! More so than
I though could be possible. With that said, it won't replace an earthworks for RTA duties. Just wondering if it's a viable or tested option.

It's one of the most common studio mics. I would have figured that lots of people had tried it.
You don't have to put hundreds of entries in a calibration file. Third-octave frequencies would be enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a graph of the mic response you could try using SPL Copy to generate a data file from it.
Thanks for that information! I have been searching for info on using a AKG 414 and found this thread. I was able to scan the frequency chart AKG provided with my mic and used the program SPL and import it as a JPG file -- it worked great! Still had to do some typing, but the program converted the chart into numbers. So ... now I have a calibration file for my specific mic.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Newbie Here,

I 'm running a C414B-ULS which is flat to 2kHz. Can't you just insert an EQ plugin in your DAW to compensate for the freg. response or does the mic's sensitivity also play into the measuring calibration?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a newbie on the forum and am still getting REW sussed out.

I'm not entirely clear on the calibration file, but I presume you could create one as the earlier reply mentioned in notepad. I have to think that you just interpret the freq response on the 414 and make the necessary adjustments. According to AKG's graph it looks like its flat to just before 2K. As I read the graph, it looks a -2db dip between 2K and 5K and then a bump of +2 starting at 5K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm quite new as well. It looked to me like Jimtl above has made the cal file for the 414, and i wondered if he'd be willing to post it for us other 414 folks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That would be great if he posted the cal. file.

I'm still trying to get Pro Tools to work with REW. Are you using a DAW in your setup or testing a Home Theatre?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe you could offer some insight in getting my DAW to work with REW. How do you have things routed? It seems I'm getting a conflict with Pro Tools and REW. Any special setup in the audio midi app? (that is if you're running a Mac). I'm probably missing something really obvious which is usually the case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts