Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone :hiya:

as this is my first post in my new thread I`d better fill the new lookers in on whats happened

We started with this

Lived in this

Dug out this big hole

Tanked it out and poured the base

then built the basement rooms, the cinema room is the far one

me and the missus laying the first brick above ground, I`m the one in the shorts by the way :joke:

and ended up with this

The house is now finished and we moved in about 18 months ago

cinema room pics to follow

cheers Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I`ll move on now the the cinema room contruction pics

this is showing the cutouts for the rear MK inwalls and projector housing

screem wall and front 2 cutouts, centre on not done yet

Penn AV rack frame assembled

the rack fits in here

I painted the inside of the AV room black to match the rack and the kit

and made my own speaker outlets for multiroom audio

First piece of kit was my Sim2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
rack now fitted waiting for the kit

speaker cable going into the rear of the rack

and into my Onkyo 905

from the front

a few more cables to the rack

and I made my own 118" dia. screen frame out of aluminium and covered it with Devore silk velvet

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I also built my own HTPC with HDMI audio/video, I`ve 7tb of storage at the moment all Bluray ISO`s

from the front

and rear

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
screen frame up and front SW150`s fitted

and the rack is starting to fill up

my first sub was an MK

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
this is where I `ve started doing the screen wall with the Devore velvet panels, this has got to be the best material in the world to stop light reflection, all you guys really are missing out here :R

a close up of the Devore against the blackest black paint I can find

this is all the screen wall done

as you can see I`ve covered my MK`s as the material is 100% acoustically transparent

and the screen frame, you can see the difference in that and the intial painted frame

whilst I was at it I bought another MK sub as well :devil:

every bit of the wall was done inc the lighting pelmet

I then also made my own acoustic panels, this is one of the frames

this last shot shows how far the Devore velvet comes out from the screen wall and the new wall colour, its Dulux Marachino Mocha no.2 btw.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as I hate decorating with a passion I thought I`d better get it all done so once started I carried on until it was all done

this is fitting the acoustic wadding into the frames

and the first one fitted, the frames were made to fit the wadding slabs and also to be a push fit between the wall and pelmets

also all the ceilings light were treated to matt black engine laquer

the last ceiling panel

then the skirting boards

and voila, nearly all done

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Fantastic job Al..Well done..:T

I followed some of your progress over at AV, but didn't get to see the final result..
Have you put any coverings on the floor at this stage?
Some more pics of the finished room would be nice to see..

·
Registered
184 Posts
great job Albriscoe. a truly awesome result.:fireworks1:

you need to teach me some of those DIY skills!

...and its good to see you here at HTS aswell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fantastic job Al..Well done..:T

I followed some of your progress over at AV, but didn't get to see the final result..
Have you put any coverings on the floor at this stage?
Some more pics of the finished room would be nice to see..
You`ll have to wait n see Prof :whistling:

thanks for the nice comments as well :T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great job Albriscoe. a truly awesome result.:fireworks1:

you need to teach me some of those DIY skills!

...and its good to see you here at HTS aswell.

Hi Custie

its good to be here mate :T

as to teaching anyone anything, I`m not sure about that to be honest, I`m not really very good at it :scratchhead:

its taken a while to get to this stage, I`m at just over 4 years now since starting to build the house :dizzy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyway here goes, here`s the finished room so see what you think

you might notice that their are rear acoustic panels at the side and on the back walls, these also cover my side and rear MK inwalls. I don`t know but since making my speakers disappear they seem to sound better, must be the lack of distraction maybe

My 2 MK subs waiting to find a new home

And my new 5100 SF, WHICH ISN`T WAITING TO FIND A NEW HOME :hsd:

Harmony 1000

HTPC is running media browser via VMC and looks very professional in my opinion.

With no lights on I can`t see my hand infront of my face :scared: as its pitch black in their now and image contrast is a 100% improvment since the velvet treatment.

Audio reflection has been controlled now as well with the acoustic panels of which there are 6 around the room, bass with the new sub is amazing and the other 7 MK`s are made to sound very well with the 905 which has no problems whatsoever driving them.

Light reflection front the wooden floor has gone now :T with the arrival of the 3 big black shaggy rugs from Ikea and theirs even a smaller one for our tooties to sit on now as well.

Just got to get rid of the light Ikea chair which is maybe this week and really thats about it for the cinema room I think.

cheers Al :jump:

·
Registered
184 Posts
as to teaching anyone anything, I`m not sure about that to be honest, I`m not really very good at it :scratchhead:
actions speak louder than words!

i'm sure i'd learn alot just watching.

the last pics are just the icing on the cake of a wonderful job.
well done on the 4 year graft on the new build home.

time to put your feet up now and watch some movies.:highfive:

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I like the idea of the rear panels hiding the in-walls..Looks really professional..:T
And good to see you put some dark rugs on the floor..:yes:
All in all, a very nice job..and I bet it sounds good as well..:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Prof

thanks very much for the comments, really appreciate them :T

I also like the rear panels which cover my side/rears MK`s, apart from looking good (in my opinion) they also double up as acoustic panels as well as they are filled with the same wadding as the front ones. My room before was quite lively in respect of audio reverberation and these have really calmed it down quite a lot without making the room "dead".

The improvement in image contrast though was the main reason for the room treatment and that has improved immensley, its like I`ve spent another 20 grand on a new projector.

I really can`t say enough about the Devore velvet and the fantastic qualities it possesses regarding nil light reflection it produces.

Now I know this might sound a bit silly but since I can no longer see any of my MK`s apart from the sub the sound to me anyway has just come alive, probably the acoustic panels I don`t know to be honest but its definatley better. The MK MX5100 SF sub as well is I think the best I`ve ever heard and LFE has really tightened up, its also much cleaner and controlled than the other 2 were.

Overall I`m chuffed to bits with it all (for the time being anyways) :bigsmile:

Anyway once again thanks for the lovely comments and glad you like the finished room.

cheers Al

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I really can`t say enough about the Devore velvet and the fantastic qualities it possesses regarding nil light reflection it produces.
I've not heard of that particular velvet..
I'll have to do a search to see if it's available down here..

Now I know this might sound a bit silly but since I can no longer see any of my MK`s apart from the sub the sound to me anyway has just come alive, probably the acoustic panels I don`t know to be honest but its definatley better.
Doesn't sound silly to me..
I'm a strong advocate for hidden front speakers..

With exposed speakers, your eyes are constantly directed to the source of sound which is very distracting and tiring when you're trying to watch a movie..and that tends to take away the smooth flow of sound across the screen..

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
looks beautiful - nice job!

I don't know the brand of the black velour fabric I used on my front wall - but like you - I think it's great! Sucks up all the light! I'm planning on making some sound panels to use on my ceiling with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've not heard of that particular velvet..
I'll have to do a search to see if it's available down here.
apparently is designed to be used in fashion and as far as I know it can be "burnt" to form patterns in the material without fraying, if they use a laser I honestly haven`t a clue :whistling:

the main thing for us AV ers is that is really does not reflect any form of light at all, infact and this is true if you shine a torch (flashlight) at it you can see where the beam leaves the torch but doesn`t show on the material, scary :yikes:

If anyone out their wants to see if for themselves pm me and I`ll see what I can do for you, I have some left which I could send out as a sample and this sample sent to others if you get what I mean.

Doesn't sound silly to me..
I'm a strong advocate for hidden front speakers..

With exposed speakers, your eyes are constantly directed to the source of sound which is very distracting and tiring when you're trying to watch a movie..and that tends to take away the smooth flow of sound across the screen..
I totally agree Prof 100%

I know physically just because the speakers are no longer visible they can`t sound better but somehow they seem to, and its the distraction factor or lack of it as you say which appears to my ears anyway which apparently makes the overhaul soundstage much more pleasing to listen to. :T

cheers Al :daydream:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts