Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that has any of the above screens... how about some screenies and shots of your room setups!

·
Registered
124 Posts
long time overdue :hide: :R:

I've been busy with my little ones, finishing basement and watching movies :R :innocent:

I just want to say thank you for all your help and hard work (Harpmaker, wbassett, mechman and others)...

I really enjoy Scorpion N8 DIY mix :T It is a Micky mouse HT comparing to other great designs, however I use it almost every day to watch old/new flicks and I love it...

The 110" frame was built out 3" MDF (connected using heavy duty L brackets). It was spray painted (black flat) prior installing strachable black velvet (stapled to the back). I've used about 6 screws (top and bottom) to screw the frame to the studs. The screw heads went under the velvet and are invisible' from few inches.

Today I painted black 2 strips of 0.5" rigid foam to be used as a masking method to give me 2.42:1 ratio. I'm planning to use spray-able adhesive to glue stretchable velvet to the pieces. If fraction will fail I'll use velcro tape to hold pieces to the frame.

Thanks again :bigsmile:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Today I painted black 2 strips of 0.5" rigid foam to be used as a masking method to give me 2.42:1 ratio. I'm planning to use spray-able adhesive to glue stretchable velvet to the pieces. If fraction will fail I'll use velcro tape to hold pieces to the frame.

Thanks again :bigsmile:

Pure Genius! That's the answer I have been looking for. I have a 16:9 screen and was wondering what to do when I had a DVD with a wider format movie. I will now project a wide format movie on my 16:9 screen, take measurements and cut two foamcore pieces to fit in the spaces. I will then cover them with black velvet to match the rest of the front wall, and then adhere small black velcro pieces to the top, bottom and sides of my screen, on top of my velvet border, then do the opposite velcro on the foamcore. When I wide format movie plays, I will simply attach my foamcore panels in place and enjoy seeing nothing but black!

This has probably been done by everyone and you are all saying, "duh", but for me it has been an epiphany!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pure Genius! That's the answer I have been looking for. I have a 16:9 screen and was wondering what to do when I had a DVD with a wider format movie. I will now project a wide format movie on my 16:9 screen, take measurements and cut two foamcore pieces to fit in the spaces. I will then cover them with black velvet to match the rest of the front wall, and then adhere small black velcro pieces to the top, bottom and sides of my screen, on top of my velvet border, then do the opposite velcro on the foamcore. When I wide format movie plays, I will simply attach my foamcore panels in place and enjoy seeing nothing but black!

This has probably been done by everyone and you are all saying, "duh", but for me it has been an epiphany!
It wasn't my idea :innocent:, but this is the best/cheapest solution I found on the web. The only problem will be with storing the pieces:scratch:. If I didn't have little ones running around I would probably install some hooks under the frame. Perhaps since I watch mostly 2.35:1 - 2.42:1 content, I'll have them on by default. I wonder how easy/hard will be to navigate in win7 with the masking foams on :ponder: :bigsmile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts