Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was using a device that had the database codes because that is what I am used to using from all the other devices.

However, for the Denon, I needed to set up a "network gateway". After much trial and error, I figured out I needed to do the following:

1. Create a static IP for the AVR - I did this by going into the router settings and making a static IP for the Denon's MAC address.

2. I needed to get a device that used network codes and not database codes. The downside is that there are some functions that do not appear to be in the code list, and I do not have a learner to learn those codes. More trial and error coming there methinks.....

3. Here was the confusing part for me - creating the network gateway. I finally figured out this morning that that is done in the app itself. On the gateways tab, there is one called network. It was here that I needed to define the Denon. I had assumed I needed to tie it to the GC-100-12 somehow in the app so I was looking there. So, all I needed was the static IP I created and the device I chose to create the "network gateway".

I now have power functions and the inputs set to go - however, I am now wondering if it would be in my best interest to get the learning device. Problem is I am using a laptop that does not have a male RS232 connection, and I seem to be having a hard time find a connector that is male on both sides.

Question for you Simon - have you started playing with the feedback functionality at all? I am wondering what it really does and if there is somewhere that gives a good explanation of how to do it for the complete novice.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hi Joe,

Yeah creating the network gateway in the app stumped me for a little while.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the learning device will help you. It will only give you IR codes, not network codes. You need to hunt around forums or the denon website to try and get hold of the hex/IP codes and then input them into irulebuilder.

I created a network device from scratch (my yamaha soundbar) using the spreadsheet that is available to integrators.

The feedback's useful, especially if your gear is in a cupboard and you can't see the volume, what's selected etc. You could definitely live without it though.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got the walls drywalled and ready to finish so Im getting ready for the stress of hooking up the I Rule. Really enjoy these post because the information takes some of the fear out of connecting up the equipment. Is there another way to hook up the equipment besides the IR emmitters?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally got the walls drywalled and ready to finish so Im getting ready for the stress of hooking up the I Rule. Really enjoy these post because the information takes some of the fear out of connecting up the equipment. Is there another way to hook up the equipment besides the IR emmitters?
Depending on the equipment, you can use a male-to-male 3.5 stereo line or a R232 pin connection. For me, I have the GC-100-12 which has 6 IR ports which I have hard wired (no emitter) to my AVR, Lutron GE, and OPPO 93 as each of these units has an IR port on the back of the unit. I am using an IR emitter for my DVR as it is an older model that does not have a port. Finally, I use one of the R232 ports for my projector.

I would take a look at the back panel of each of the pieces of equipment you are using to see if they have an IR port. If so, I definitely recommend the hard wire route.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like I said, I'm new to this part so I'm kind of struggling. I do think that using the 2 male connectors is a great idea and I didn't know that you could do that. The issue that I'm having is that I don't know how to connect the Irule now to the GC-100. Should it automatically see it or do you need to tell the Irule program to search for it. I also do not see the GC-100 coming up in "My Network". Should I? I have look for some type of imformation on the different web sites but have not seen anything that tells me what I need to do.

Thanks again for your help. Just can't wait to get this working so I can play.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Like I said, I'm new to this part so I'm kind of struggling. I do think that using the 2 male connectors is a great idea and I didn't know that you could do that. The issue that I'm having is that I don't know how to connect the Irule now to the GC-100. Should it automatically see it or do you need to tell the Irule program to search for it. I also do not see the GC-100 coming up in "My Network". Should I? I have look for some type of imformation on the different web sites but have not seen anything that tells me what I need to do.

Thanks again for your help. Just can't wait to get this working so I can play.
No problem Mark - glad to help out. I am in Dallas right now, so I cannot help much remotely.

First thing - check your settings tab in the iRule interface to make sure you have entered in your gmail account and password so the app and your builder can sync up.

Which device did you purchase? The GC-100-12 or the GC-100-6?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I look at the IRule Builder I see both my devices listed on it so I feel that I'm inSync. I also see my email and password. I just feel that the Cache is not seen. Should I see the Cache in "My Network Tab" like I see the ISY unit for my Insteon lighting control

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just so we are both on the same page, lets start by making sure the app and the builder are communicating.

In the app, have you gone into the gateways tab and assigned all your devices to the ports to which you have them connected on the GC-100? If you have and they are communicating correctly, when you go to the panels tab, the "wheel" in the lower right should be green. If not, it will be red. If it is yellow, I believe that means some devices are communicating and some are not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not see any"wheels that are any color. Do I need to have some equipment hooked up to be able to see this. At this point I'm just getting the walls finished up so that I can place my equipment. So I have no communication with it. I did get the get the IP address installed for the gateway.

Do you have any information on connecting the Insteon PLM and ISY to the system. I'm just trying to get everything setup and ready so that when I can place equipment I will be ready to go.

Thanks again,
:rubeyes:

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I do not see any"wheels that are any color. Do I need to have some equipment hooked up to be able to see this. At this point I'm just getting the walls finished up so that I can place my equipment. So I have no communication with it. I did get the get the IP address installed for the gateway.

Do you have any information on connecting the Insteon PLM and ISY to the system. I'm just trying to get everything setup and ready so that when I can place equipment I will be ready to go.

Thanks again,
:rubeyes:
Yes, you would need some equipment hooked up as I am pretty sure the "wheel" shows a specific color after the communication takes place between them.

As far as the Insteon and the ISY, I won't be able to be much help there unfortunately... :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the gateway address on the IRule GC-100 Gateway but I really don't know if it is doing anything. I tried to load a device but it said "no gateway"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great thread. Been thinking of using iRule for my Theater room instead of saving up the 1500 that a company wants to install a Crestron setup.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I have the gateway address on the IRule GC-100 Gateway but I really don't know if it is doing anything. I tried to load a device but it said "no gateway"
Any luck with this yet?

Great thread. Been thinking of using iRule for my Theater room instead of saving up the 1500 that a company wants to install a Crestron setup.
The cost outlay is not bad at all. Plus, I had a chance to chat with Steven Crabb, and he said they have just recently added a "wizard" interface that makes it much easier to build screens which can then be customized. I watched him use it and build a screen in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Still having issues with it. Hooked upmy Denon AVR unit and tried with the IR sensor and counldn't see the device then I had a Male to male 3.5mm plug. Tried it and it still comes up no gateway seen. Might just have to wait until all my equipment is in place. I feel that I'm getting closer but really frustrated because it shouldn't be the rough. Copied the little bit of manual that I could find so that I can read up on it.:rubeyes:

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Still having issues with it. Hooked upmy Denon AVR unit and tried with the IR sensor and counldn't see the device then I had a Male to male 3.5mm plug. Tried it and it still comes up no gateway seen. Might just have to wait until all my equipment is in place. I feel that I'm getting closer but really frustrated because it shouldn't be the rough. Copied the little bit of manual that I could find so that I can read up on it.:rubeyes:
If the Denon is like mine, you need to set up the gateway under the Network gateway, not the GC-100.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Then you can proceed to get it to the IRule within the Network Gateway?
Yes, you need to set up the IP address for the Denon once you create it under "Network". For the Denon, I also copied down the MAC address and made a static ip for it in my route settings to alleviate the disconnect issue I would sometimes see with my GC-100.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts