Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

The days are getting colder which means it is time to start the inside projects again! And so, without further ado, the ALMFamily Theater Lobby commences!

This will not be the 2 year long project the theater was as I will not have to worry about soundproofing here - thank goodness!

Here is what we have to start with for space.

This is the entrance to the lobby - I am considering doing a tile / carpet combination for the floor so that I can create a "walkway" to the theater door:

These next two show the wall right to the left as you walk through the entry. This is where the counter will be with a sink and plenty of outlets for crockpots, etc. The wall to the left of the theater door (stained) will be made into shelving for movies and CDs with a backlit stained glass theater sign incorporated into the design of the shelving:

This picture shows where the diagonal wall will be with the door to enter my "finishing" room - I am putting all my cutting tools and such in my garage and I will just be doing staining / finishing work in this room. This will also be where the media server will be located:

These last two show where the washer and dryer will be relocated to. The second picture shows the wall where I am putting the door to allow access to the water heater and softener. To the right of that door, I will be installing my "drink" station - I am putting in a kegerator (a freezer converted to store 5 gallon canisters) that will store soda and my homemade beer. A future project will be to create a "brewing" area. As you can see, we have already studded out two of the walls:

Here is a picture of the start of the kegerator:

Let the fun begin!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had me at kegorator.

Looking forward to this!
I know right! My neighbor set his up a couple years ago which is what put the idea in my head - actually planning to brew up a batch today as it takes 2-3 weeks to ferment and I should have the kegerator done by then..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
This looks interesting, will defiantly be lurking in the thread :)

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This looks interesting, will defiantly be lurking in the thread :)
Glad to have you aboard Tony!

I'll be brewing a batch this weekend too in time for the holidays! And as coincidentally our HT builds are, oddly enough our "lobbies" will most likely turn out very similar since I'll be incorporating a bar/brewing area!
What are you planning to make? Do you have any plans yet on the brewing area?

Ok, I'm ready to watch.
Welcome aboard Luther!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
Home brew, Kegorator, and home theater... count me in. I'm down to my last bottle and haven't started the next batch yet. I'm also interested in your plans for the brewing area. I'm considering it as well, kitchen not really big enough and hate lugging everything up and down the stairs.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the kegerator a bit earlier today - I will get some pictures up tomorrow.

I just finished watching the extended version of The Hobbit - I bought the box set so I could get the figurine to add to my room decor. Some very neat added footage...

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd need a scotch-erator! :bigsmile:
Never been a big scotch guy - I actually tried it when I was in Scotland - a 12 year old Glenlivet (IIRC) and I could not even finish it... :doh:

You literally took those exact words out of my mouth when I saw the pic. Subscribed.

Joe, don't forget a pic of the new action figure while you're at it!
Ask and ye shall receive!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And, now for the pictures of the finished kegerator!

The finished unit from the front - I really love this color stain for oak as I am sure you can tell - it is all over my theater:

This is the analog thermostat that allows me to set the internal temperature to 38 degrees F:

The back side of the kegerator. I used 2x8 lumber to make the collar - I wanted to have a bit of extra space in the top for added storage. That reminds me - I should get a small freezer so I can frost mugs too...

The inside of the unit - I was able to get 4 canisters inside due to making the collar a bit taller. Two will be for soda and two for homemade brew. The runs to the faucets will be a bit longer, so I am going to run them all through PVC, insulate them, and run an extra tube that will go down and back and be hooked up to a pump inside the freezer. There will be water in the bottom of the freezer that will be pumped through that tube to keep the beer / soda cold as it sits in the tubes:

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like a nice set up Joe..Where's the fermenter/s?
My neighbor and I are both actually brewing and he has been doing it for a couple years. I just did my first batch tonight which was an extract brew, and we are going to do an all-grain one on Saturday.

He has 3 six gallon carboys, so I probably will only have to get one. We already started plans for a full-on brewing station in my basement tonight while we were brewing! :)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
My neighbor and I are both actually brewing and he has been doing it for a couple years. I just did my first batch tonight which was an extract brew, and we are going to do an all-grain one on Saturday.

He has 3 six gallon carboys, so I probably will only have to get one. We already started plans for a full-on brewing station in my basement tonight while we were brewing! :)
ooooooo, whatcha brewing??? is your all grain going to be a full 3 tier setup or something simple like Brew in a bag?

I just finished the brew stage for a Bavarian hefeweizen late last night and have 2 IPA's and a Brown ale in bottles right now...I really need to get a kegerator

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ooooooo, whatcha brewing??? is your all grain going to be a full 3 tier setup or something simple like Brew in a bag?

I just finished the brew stage for a Bavarian hefeweizen late last night and have 2 IPA's and a Brown ale in bottles right now...I really need to get a kegerator
Caribou Slobber was the first - we decided to do that one as an extract since we were doing it during the week. We are planning to do a mash tun on Saturday - that one will be a cream ale.

That's how it starts!..If you turn out a good brew you'll have friends that you never knew and you won't be able to keep up demand!! :D
I hope so - I want to brew more often! :). Of course, my neighbor has 4 five gallon canisters so I can always borrow from him!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts