Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I seem to do far too often, I thought I would document my video calibration process and give some feedback on the Video Calibration series from Michael Chen as I go along.

So, I am using Calman v4 (4.6.5 to be exact) with an i1 Display Pro Retail colorimeter. I am calibrating a Panasonic AE-7000U projector - the lamp run time is 250 hours. As a starting off point, I thought I would snap a few screenshots for comparison sake:

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I set up the meter on my tripod about 2 feet in front of the screen facing the projector:

As per Mech's fine writeup on the calibration process, I have left the diffuser on as the meter is pointing toward the projector. I am in the process of letting the projector warm up for a bit before I fully jump into the process.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I am new to this yet, CalMan still gives me the walk through workflow.

So, first thing is the Meter profile. For me, it found the meter as I had plugged it in prior to opening CalMan. I needed to change the mode to Front Projector UHP for the AE-7000U (verified this with Mech and Joel from SpectralCal) and I am using the Get Gray disc provided by SpectralCal.

There was no initialization needed for this meter.

I have Michael's video running and am also following Mech's guide. At this point, I am still in the setup phase so I am pretty much just using Mech's guide.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got all the pre-calibrated readings. One thing I could not figure out how to do was to switch between grayscale settings. What I ended up doing was turning on the prompt that tells you specifically which patterns it wants before it takes the reading and then I hit continuous play.

I have compared my charts to what I see in Michael's display in video 1 at 7:19. I am guessing he has a different level of Calman as I do as I cannot seem to find a couple of the charts he has displayed - mainly delta E for colors.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One other thing I came across - in Mech's writeup he suggests to leave the diffuser on when pointing the meter at the projector.

However, when I tried this, I got an error 36 message telling me I needed to remove the diffuser to get luminance readings.

I removed it and proceeded, but that may skew the results.....

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
One thing I'd like to add (and I may have to edit the guide) is that if you are pointing the meter at the pj, put it as close as you can.

As for the error in Luminance readings, they are in error anyways since you're getting the reading directly from the pj rather than off the screen.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I'd like to add (and I may have to edit the guide) is that if you are pointing the meter at the pj, put it as close as you can.

As for the error in Luminance readings, they are in error anyways since you're getting the reading directly from the pj rather than off the screen.
Uh oh - you mean as close as you can to the projector?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Uh oh - you mean as close as you can to the projector?
That's what I do. That may cure that luminance error as well. I really don't think it will change much else other than the luminance though - the x and y data shouldn't change much, just the Y data.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I do. That may cure that luminance error as well. I really don't think it will change much else other than the luminance though - the x and y data shouldn't change much, just the Y data.
I now have it sitting about 2 feet from the projector - I still get the error. It states that the dissuser must be removed in order to take any luminace readings.

Here is a topic at Spectral:

http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3501

I already removed Profiler and Xrite - still the same error.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swapped the meter to point at the screen instead of the projector to see what the differences were. Here is what I have:

Meter pointed to projector with diffuser off:

Pre Cal readings with meter to projector.png

Meter pointed to screen with diffuser off:

Pre Cal readings with meter to screen.png

In both cases, green is really high. Odd that I am not seeing more of a greenish hue if they are that high....

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you crop it down so I can see the numbers?
Will do. I am wondering - why do we calibrate in Cinema mode? Is it because the color temperature is closest to 6503? I have been running in "normal" mode and like it in comparison to Cinema.

If that is the case, should I calibrate using normal mode instead and adjust the color temperature to be closer to 6503?

I was at it until 12am last night - made it through grayscale adjustments. I was just thinking if I prefer normal mode, perhaps I should start from the beginning in that mode.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings

My videos were not supposed to be some "how to use Calman" videos. They are about concepts and ideas, and not mimicing what I am doing. The workflow that I use is the THX workflow but that is just a name. As a subscriber, if you would like access to the workflow, just ask. The V4 version was designed on the professional platform so trying to use said WF in the enthusiast version will not work. It is locked.

(I have an unlocked version of the WF as well for V4.) Remember, the THX WF is just something I designed in the design mode of the program. There is nothing stopping anyone else from designing the same type of workflow. It is what the THX students train on, when they have Calman. If they have Chromapure, then they just use that program. There is nothing preventing me from giving you the workflow ... beyond me erasing 4 THX logos that were inserted into the WF.

V5 ... The THX WF here only works with the business version. Those with the $1500 version can use it but cannot modify it. Only the Ultimate version of V5 allows further editing. Again, if you want to try to see if this V5 flow works on your software, drop me an email.

The THX wf is all of three or four steps really because that is all I need when I work with clients. I have no need for some 20+ stepping process that keeps holding my hand ... even if I want it to let go.

Precal page ... then grayscale page ... then CMS page ... and it spits out the post cal page. Done. Print a report. :)

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greetings

My videos were not supposed to be some "how to use Calman" videos. They are about concepts and ideas, and not mimicing what I am doing. The workflow that I use is the THX workflow but that is just a name. As a subscriber, if you would like access to the workflow, just ask. The V4 version was designed on the professional platform so trying to use said WF in the enthusiast version will not work. It is locked.

(I have an unlocked version of the WF as well for V4.) Remember, the THX WF is just something I designed in the design mode of the program. There is nothing stopping anyone else from designing the same type of workflow. It is what the THX students train on, when they have Calman. If they have Chromapure, then they just use that program. There is nothing preventing me from giving you the workflow ... beyond me erasing 4 THX logos that were inserted into the WF.

V5 ... The THX WF here only works with the business version. Those with the $1500 version can use it but cannot modify it. Only the Ultimate version of V5 allows further editing. Again, if you want to try to see if this V5 flow works on your software, drop me an email.

The THX wf is all of three or four steps really because that is all I need when I work with clients. I have no need for some 20+ stepping process that keeps holding my hand ... even if I want it to let go.

Precal page ... then grayscale page ... then CMS page ... and it spits out the post cal page. Done. Print a report. :)

Regards
Apologies Michael if my post gave the impression that I expected your videos to walk anyone through CalMan - I do not feel that way and that was not my expectation for them. My question was more to my inability to see one of the specific graphs you were displaying in the first video.

Honestly, I think the biggest thing the videos have done for me is to help my understanding of what each step in the process is for - yesterday was only the second time I have fired up CalMan. I was really struggling with it the first time I used it - this time, I felt (besides a couple of setup questions) that I understood the process better as well as, as you mentioned, the concepts behind it. Well worth it IMO........

As far as the workflow, I will probably stick with the hand holding for a bit until I get more comfortable with the standard workflow. :bigsmile: Then, as you have done, streamline it for my specific needs.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Will do. I am wondering - why do we calibrate in Cinema mode? Is it because the color temperature is closest to 6503? I have been running in "normal" mode and like it in comparison to Cinema.

If that is the case, should I calibrate using normal mode instead and adjust the color temperature to be closer to 6503?

I was at it until 12am last night - made it through grayscale adjustments. I was just thinking if I prefer normal mode, perhaps I should start from the beginning in that mode.....
We calibrate in Cinema mode because it is generally the closest to the final goal and requires the least amount of adjustments. :T

1 - 20 of 46 Posts