Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks
its been a while since I last posted.
My labor of love home theater construction is almost complete. However, I was wondering if I was missing anything. I've heard of pre amps etc etc and the like and have no idea about any of that stuff. I thought I would list what I bought (and intend to buy) and maybe someone can tell me if I am missing anything. Thanks in advance for your replies

Projector - Epson Home Cinema 1080
receiver- Onkyo TR 876
speakers and sub- SVS SBS system
Blue ray - Samsung (don't know the model)
Conditioner - to be purchased
Cable - to be purchased
remote - to be purchased
Screen - Carada
Do I need anything else? Thanks

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Big one...acoustic treatment. Maybe you've built it into the room, but if not, it's the best investment you can make, much more than a power conditioner.

Speaking of which, my suggestions for what you haven't purchased yet:

Conditioner - Tripp Lite. Rock solid, real specs, and value priced if you shop around.

Cable - Monoprice or Blue Jeans. Same performance as fancy cables, 100th the price in some cases.
remote - Anything with real buttons. Touchscreens look fancy, but are maddening to use. You can certainly get a combo button/touchscreen such as the harmony, but you need tactile buttons for play/pause and volume since these are the once you'll likely be fumbling for in the dark.

Projector - Have a backup bulb on hand (I think the Epson came with 2 for a while). Murphy's law state that the standard life of a projection bulb is 4 and goal with 3 seconds on the clock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops. I forgot to mention the acoustic treatments. Brian from GIK was great and I am totally covered with panels. Thanks for the tips.

GREATLY Appreciated

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For calibration of the audio an SPL meter and a Laptop/PC with a line in sound card for use with REW. For the video calibration side the BluRay of DVE (Digital Video Essentials) I also agree a power conditioner is overkill a good Triplite surge suppressor with a line filter is all you need.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds like your set with a nice system. Go buy some more Blu-rays to play on it.:T

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes you are missing a very important item. You need a good universal remote. if you want a PC programmable I recommend Harmony. If not PC programmable then URC Digital R50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts