Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,
I am adding to my theather system since I purchased a new Plasma TV. I'll keep some of my components since I really like them but I really need a moderately priced HDMI A/V receiver to top off my system. I've read most suggestions from most all the experienced people on this site and I must say that everyone is so kind for providing information to those like myself that know just enough to be dangerous with electronic equipment of any kind.
Here is a list of my "parts" and any suggestions provided from you will help me have a brighter and excitingly loud Christmas!

Brand new purchase:
Panasonic TC-P54V10 Plasma Television
Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc DMP BD 80

Older components:
Onkyo DX-C330 CD player
Infinity Crescendo CS-3009 Tower Speakers
Infinity Sub-Woofer BU-120
Infinity RS-2 Bookshelf for rear surround sound speakers
Infinity Center Channel speaker
Pioneer Turntable PL -1150 ( I have hundreds of albums I love to still play)
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR (Time Warner)

I sure would appreciate your thoughts on a new A/V receiver with universal remote to tie all of these components together!
thanks,
DaleTex
Helotes, Texas

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Dale, Welcome to the Shack,
Im starting to sound like a stuck record but right now the best receiver for the money is the Onkyo TXSR 876 that can be found for $850 It has superb video and audio processing. If that a bit too much its little brother the 706 is the next best option.
For a remote alot of us use the Harmony 880

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
As usual, I am in total agreement with Tony. The TX-SR876 offers a truly unbeatable package of superb video processing via the Reon chip and abundant power reserves. The 876 weighs almost twice as much as the TX-SR706 and almost all of this weight is in the larger power supply and capacitors.

Mind you the weight of the TX-SR706 is average (28 pounds) for a quality middle tier receiver. Most receivers which weigh as much as the 876 and feature THX Ultra 2 Certification cost multiples of the current prices for the 876. Then again, the 876 retails for 1700 Dollars. However, even at that price represents superb value.

The TX-SR706 is an excellent value as well and features THX Select Certification, preamp outputs, and Audyssey Room Correction. However, if your speakers are inefficient or you listen at high playback levels, the 876 is well worth the price difference.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jack,

Just wondering what the equivalent Onkyo to the 876 is in the new models. Would be the 1007 or 3007?

I assume the 906 matches with the 5007?

I was considering one of these myself, they look very good!.

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The closest equivalent of the TX-SR876 to me is the TX-NR3000 because of the inclusion of the Reon chip.
It is also wonderful that with the 3007, firmware upgrades are available via ethernet and the inclusion of internet radio. These were features lacking in the 876.
Even the TX-NR906 could not upgrade firmware via firmware, but did offer internet radio. And I also agree with your 906-5007 correlation.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I personally would spend the extra money to get the latest additions from Onkyo to ensure you have firmware upgradeability from IN HOME. I cannot express how important that this is. I've had a good number experiences where my receivers needed a firmware upgrade but I would've had to have taken it to a service center which could take 1 week to all the way to my experience with my Pioneer Elite receiver once was over 2 months. It's also just the hassle of having to take apart your system just to get a small little "fix" that would get absolutely annoying, too.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Firmware updates are available for the 805 and up all you need is a PC using the RS232 port and a "straight through" cable. I have the links if you want them. The only units that were not easy to do are the first generation of the 805.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
One of the best ways to select a receiver is to pick a line that is a couple of years old and look for complaints. If it's a well known brand and you can't find many. Chances are it's a great receiver.

If the owners thread is a list of problems and how to fix them look elsewhere. Generally in my research I've found Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha to have less issues than the problem riddled receivers of Onkyo, HK.
I realize things change and products do improve. But for a receiver reliability is the greatest concern. Without it you can't do anything.

I realize used isn't always popular, but the Yamaha RX-V2600 is one of the best receivers released in recent years. The following models went down hill after, but that receiver would be a phenomenal choice for any home theater setup. It is my #1 recommendation. After that I'd pick a Marantz or Denon in your price range. Yamaha has been skimping lately on receivers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-V2600...ItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item4a9cdacd6e is a link to an ebay listing going for a very low price.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hello,
As usual, I am in total agreement with Tony. The TX-SR876 offers a truly unbeatable package of superb video processing via the Reon chip and abundant power reserves. The 876 weighs almost twice as much as the TX-SR706 and almost all of this weight is in the larger power supply and capacitors.

Mind you the weight of the TX-SR706 is average (28 pounds) for a quality middle tier receiver. Most receivers which weigh as much as the 876 and feature THX Ultra 2 Certification cost multiples of the current prices for the 876. Then again, the 876 retails for 1700 Dollars. However, even at that price represents superb value.

The TX-SR706 is an excellent value as well and features THX Select Certification, preamp outputs, and Audyssey Room Correction. However, if your speakers are inefficient or you listen at high playback levels, the 876 is well worth the price difference.
Cheers,
JJ
The fact is you need to double power to get a true difference in headroom. So I'd dismiss that as a justifiable reason to pay twice as much.

The main difference would be the superior video processor. This is probably noticeable though I've never compared Reon to Farojuda personally in an ABX test. nor have I seen such a test.

I'd go on record as stating there is little difference in the output capabilities between the 876 and 706. The 876 does likely have a better pre-processor and better parts. But I've not examined either so I can't say that for sure.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'd go on record as stating there is little difference in the output capabilities between the 876 and 706. The 876 does likely have a better pre-processor and better parts. But I've not examined either so I can't say that for sure.
There is a huge difference between the two. The 876 can put out more than 125 watts per ch all channels driven the 706 can only do about 70watts per channel all channels driven. That alone and the fact that the 876 can drive a 3.2 ohm load sustained is also a big plus. The power supply in the 876 is twice the size and the entire receiver weighs over 55lbs where the 706 is only 28lbs

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Exactly as Tony pointed out. Furthermore, receivers like Pioneers VSX-1019 put out less than 30 watts all channels driven. There is a huge difference. Many with receivers with modest power supplies have them shut down during high volume passages.

I also have not found Onkyo to be problem riddled. Just the opposite. While there was some AVSForum hysteria about the upper range models running so hot they caught on fire, there have been very few QC issues with Onkyo's. With that hysteria, it was pretty much impossible to find anyone who actually had their receiver break or shut down from heat build up. These receivers were designed to run hot. Customer Service is another story. But, in terms of reliability, Onkyo's have proven to be quite reliable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im no expert and think it is also down to personel preference and funds available.
After doing alot of reading im personally swayed with the:
onkyo 807 receiver
harmony one remote

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Dazroth, have you been listening to much Internet Radio content? I really think it is awesome that Onkyo has added this feature to the 800 Series. Even better, the ability to have Firmware Updates via Ethernet.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jack

I haven't actually purchased this yet as i am waiting til just after xmas and buying the full set up (my main goal is to have everything streaming).
I've decided on the 807 because of the ethernet connection and i also like the look of the option for front height speakers.
i know the 876 is more powerful but as i said my personel preference over the two just because of this reason and maybe cos the newer model.

Darren

PS just got a few headaches over speakers at the moment but thats another story, decisions, decisions lol

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Darren, If you can get the 876 for a good price I would spring for it over the 807 The Height channels are really not going to make any difference, the extra power and better internals of the 876 along with THX Ultra2 certification and a better Addessy all add up to huge gains over the 807

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply, just when i thought i had definately made my mind up:ponder:

Looks like i will be downloading the 876 manual now after reading the 807 inside out.

I don't think the wife will be happy cos already started knocking the wall down etc and just before xmas:doh:

I really like the look of these speakers,do you know if these will handle the 876?
b&w 685 fronts
b&w 686 rears
htm62 centre
asw608 subwoofer

I like the 800 series but can't afford them or should i say the wife won't let me have em lol

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/dis...ntent=Promo4_600+Series&utm_medium=PROMOLINK4

Thanks

Darren

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I really like the look of these speakers,do you know if these will handle the 876?
b&w 685 fronts
b&w 686 rears
htm62 centre
asw608 subwoofer

Thanks

Darren
You wont be disappointed with the B&Ws I have always liked the sound and looks of them. Your going to find that they will defiantly work better with the 876 simply because it has a much better amplifier section.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Darren, I wholeheartedly agree on the jump to the 876. Even though it lacks the height channels, I think the upgrade in all the other areas that tony already pointed out is worth it! B&W certainly make very good speakers and am looking forward to hearing your impressions on your system once everything is up and running!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
There is a huge difference between the two. The 876 can put out more than 125 watts per ch all channels driven the 706 can only do about 70watts per channel all channels driven. That alone and the fact that the 876 can drive a 3.2 ohm load sustained is also a big plus. The power supply in the 876 is twice the size and the entire receiver weighs over 55lbs where the 706 is only 28lbs
So others understand how SPL vs power works.
Speakers are rated at SPL per watt/meter

So let's say you get a rating of 90 db/watt it means for 1 watt your speaker would output 90db at 1 meter. Since most folks watch TV at 60db 1 watt is actually sufficient for that need. Now dynamics can swing up to maybe 30db at most. So 1 watt would give us the 90db without clipping the amplifier.

Now some folks like to have more headroom. The THX reference volume is around 75db
To increase by 3db you need to double power. 3db is considered the first significant change in sound. Try turning up your receiver 3db and you will see what I mean.

Now to reach full uncompressed sound at the 75db reference volume. You would need to reach 105db.
1 x 10 x 2 x 2 watts gives us the needed headroom for the reference volume. I'd recommend buying the 700 series and then buying an external amp(I use pro amps) with the savings. You'd get far more SPL capabilities that way. But I'm prefer a more separates approach.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.