Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply, just when i thought i had definately made my mind up:ponder:

Looks like i will be downloading the 876 manual now after reading the 807 inside out.

I don't think the wife will be happy cos already started knocking the wall down etc and just before xmas:doh:

I really like the look of these speakers,do you know if these will handle the 876?
b&w 685 fronts
b&w 686 rears
htm62 centre
asw608 subwoofer

I like the 800 series but can't afford them or should i say the wife won't let me have em lol

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/dis...ntent=Promo4_600+Series&utm_medium=PROMOLINK4

Thanks

Darren
Don't get a B&W sub and the 600 series are not very good IMO. My advice is to look at the step up or something else. I've heard the 600 series and B&W sub and it was yucky.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Speakers are an unbelievably subjective thing. While I agree that B&W's 700 Series is a major step up, especially with cabinet construction, over the 600 Series, I have never thought the 600 Series were that bad.

Pro Amps offer excellent value and when modded to reduce fan noise, make for a compelling solution.
That being said the Onkyo TX-SR875 offers performance comparable to budget separate amplifiers.
Here is a link of the output:http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2463/test-bench-onkyo-tx-sr875-av-receiver.html
Here is a link for the Denon 4308:http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2676/test-bench-denon-avr-4308ci-av-receiver.html
The Onkyo truly offers an impressive amount of power for a Receiver offering a good bit more power than the more expensive Denon. The Denon retails for 700 Dollars more and is never available discounted for around 800 Dollars the way the Onkyo is.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lot of Onkyo talk here. Has anyone compared to Cambridge Audio (not sure of model) or NAD 755. These are typically rated at lower power numbers, but for those of us not interested in shaking the walls they look like good deals at $800 street price.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I am quite fond of Cambridge and NAD. British Design, Made in China, Really appeals to music lovers more than HT folks for the most part.

I am a huge fan of THX's Processing Modes and Audyssey MultEQ XT so I have been using an Onkyo as an SSP for a few years bypassing the amplification in the Onkyo due to my Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello Shackers,
I am currently well pleased with my pre holiday selection of the Onkyo 607. Not the baddest on the block in the number of powerful receivers available. Mostly because of the cost considerations involved but the 607 had the number of HDMI ports I was wanting. Santa brought me the ION TTUSB turntable that I will hook up to my computer to burn a few of my old vinyl records to CD or transfer to my iPod. Finally I have a sound and video system that sounds like I want it to in my 20'X20' den after all these years. The Blu-Ray DVD of the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" with the Audyssey 2 EQ speaker set up on the Onkyo is phenomenal! The DVD of David Gilmour's "Remember that Night" is not Blu-ray but it is I think the best DVD concert I've seen and listened to!!
The audio I listen to now on my system exceeds my expectations. The sub woofer delivers those deep gut, house shaking sounds from all media as well as cable TV. The speakers have the clean and crisp highs and delicious mid-tones that knock me out! And the good thing about it all is I can control it all with my one remote. Can you see me smilin'?
Dale Tex

Panasonic TC-P54V10 Plasma Television
Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc DMP BD 80
Onkyo TX-SR607
Onkyo DX-C330 CD player
Infinity Crescendo CS-3009 Tower Speakers
Infinity Sub-Woofer BU-120
Infinity RS-2 Bookshelf for rear surround sound speakers
Infinity Primus PC350 Center Channel speaker
Pioneer Turntable PL -1150
Ion TTUSB Turntable
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR (Time Warner)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I personally dont care for NAD they are more expensive than Onkyo and the quality is not better. I find the looks of NAD to also be very plain and unappealing. Even though they are loved by audiophiles the sound is no different than any other mid priced receiver.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Reid, Cambridge and NAD are both more musically oriented, but that's not to say they wouldn't do well for home theater either. Most of us advocate Onkyo because they produce some of the best bang-for-the-buck. They may not be the best out there, but they sure are really good especially for the price tag associated with each of their receivers!

I've not heard much from Cambridge, but I've heard some stuff from NAD and liked their sound. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I've owned a Lexicon RV-8 for 3 years and have been very happy with it's performance. It predates HDMI so I use component video for all video connects. I've considered selling it and moving to separates, but haven't so far mainly due to budget reasons.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I would recommend selling your Lexicon ASAP. Due to the HDMI Final Adopter Agreement aka The Analog Sunset, in a year from now some Blu Ray discs will be restricted to outputting 480 lines of resolution via the Component outputs.

By 2013, no analog video connections will be available from BDP's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
I would recommend selling your Lexicon ASAP. Due to the HDMI Final Adopter Agreement aka The Analog Sunset, in a year from now some Blu Ray discs will be restricted to outputting 480 lines of resolution via the Component outputs.

Cheers,
JJ
Very good to know, thanks. I will check first with Lexicon to see if they are updating the model in any way. It was originally advertised as a future proof solution :gulp:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Cheers,
JJ
Should have thought more about this before the first post. I have HDMI 1.0 running to my Sim2 C3X projector, so I could run directly from my Oppo BDP-83SE for BluRay and still use Component through the RV8 for DirecTV, correct? Or does the Analog Sunset provision restrict HDMI 1.0 processing?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
As long as it is HDMI and has HDCP, you will be fine. With DirecTV, you should be fine with components as the Analog Sunset provisions pertain to Blu Ray Players.
Cheers,
JJ

21 - 33 of 33 Posts