Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still awaiting the driver itselfs for my sealed maelstrom x build im still considering which amp to get.

Pretty much set on the EP2500 which I can get cheap from Germany, however I need to mod it with a quiter fan so that brings total cost up just a bit and it will still generate some heat in my rack.

I stumbled over these amps produced in Denmark, its class D:

Here's the specs: (it's a PDF but in English)

DA 3200 SPECIFICATIONS:
Output Power, 8 ohms: 450 watt / ch.
Output Power, 4 ohms: 800 watt / ch.
Output Power, 2 ohms: 1600 watt / ch.
Output Power , 8 ohms bridge : 1600 watt
Output Power , 4 ohms bridge : 3200 watt

This is the "cheapest" model they have, you can go all the way up to this one:

DA 7000 SPECIFICATIONS:
Output Power, 8 ohms: 1100 watt / ch.
Output Power, 4 ohms: 1800 watt / ch.
Output Power, 2 ohms: 3500 watt / ch.
Output Power , 8 ohms bridge : 3600 watt
Output Power , 4 ohms bridge : 7000 watt

The DA 3200 has specs that gives plenty of power for atleast 1 maelstrom x as far as I can tell. Also they dont give away much heat which is a big plus in my room that has no airconditioner.

Any comments on these amps?

I've already mailed the company about some questions I have.

Here's the site, on the left are the amps: http://www.cadaudio.dk/paforst04.htm

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
The numbers look good provided it will produce the rated power in the sub bass frequency region. However, the EP2500 has ample power for your Mal-X, so unless these are less expensive, I am not sure what advantage they would be.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm not familiar with the brand, but these types of amps do not typically do as well for heavy bass duty. I'm going to guess that these are expensive as well? The power ratings may or may not be realistic. Says it's measured with fullrange 20-20khz pink noise:scratch:. Also note that it mentions that there is VLF filtering, which is the last thing Id want for a sealed sub set-up.

This is all conjecture on my part, they may be great amps, or not for your app. :dunno:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have mailed the company regarding some of the questions you raise.

My main concern atm with the EP 2500 is heat. I'll be stacking two of them in a semi closed cabinet in which I did install a fan at the button also.

My living room gets quite hot with all the equipment :)

These class D amps are a little more expensive, but not that much.

Thanks for input, likely I will start out with the EP2500 and see how it goes with the heat and all.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I had an EP2500 enclosed in a very small cabinet for a long time and never had a minutes problem. I don't think it would be an issue, but still let us know how it works out and that this company says about the amps. I assume they are not available in the U.S.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an EP2500 enclosed in a very small cabinet for a long time and never had a minutes problem. I don't think it would be an issue, but still let us know how it works out and that this company says about the amps. I assume they are not available in the U.S.
That's certainly good news. I ended up ordering the EP 2500 and right now im searching for a suitable replacement fan to go with it.

I have not gotten any reply from the danish amp company yet, and it's been a few days, perhaps they are on vacation:heehee:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's certainly good news. I ended up ordering the EP 2500 and right now im searching for a suitable replacement fan to go with it.

I have not gotten any reply from the danish amp company yet, and it's been a few days, perhaps they are on vacation:heehee:
There is a thread on this forum in which a lot of peolpe used this fan that costs under $10:
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=31K9990

I'm going to order it for my fan replacement for the EP2500 if I can't find a Pabst fan replacement. The Pabst seems to have a better CFM and lower noise, but I don't know if I can find a retailer in the US who sells them.

BTW, I researched sub amps and the Behringer isn't only the best amp for the money, it scored as good if not better than many of its competitors including the Crown K2 and Velodyne SC-1250. The fan is the only issue and everyone who replaced it wrote it took them less than an hour from start to finish. The more capable members took less than 30 minutes.

I'm going to try it and I have NO skills to do such a job. I hooked up my amp this morning for the first time and I LOVE it.

Regards,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Class D amps are better for bass duties in general, I have used class D amps for my car subs and they were excellent. But again don't know this brand. Try to look for reviews...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I swapped the fan out on my EP2500 and used 2, low volume very low noise 12v computer fans. I reversed them so the air flow would be front to back. Worked very well for me for a long time...until recently.

I played an 80min dubstep mix (very bass heavy electronic music) at high volume, to see how hot my amp would get after reading about someone else's EP2500 getting extremely hot while watching a NIN concert.

After the mix was over, I went to feel the top of the amp and it burned my hand. I didn't feel any hot air coming out so I looked and my fans weren't spinning. I shut it off.

5-10min later I turned it on and the fans spun up just fine, so i left it on to help suck out the heat.

I have yet to be able to repeat this problem, but I do have theory's on why it happend...but I need to get it repeatable first so I can start doing experiments to positively identify the problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ordered a 24v papst fan with very low noise. Also inside my home made hifi rack I've installed ventilation fans at the bottom to remove the hot from inside the rack itself. Rack is mounted on the wall and the doors are covered with wool so I can control with a remote through it. I initially thought the wool would allow air to pass through but very little do so, which is why I installed the fans afterwards.

The fans I installered are low db ones, but they are audible if no sound in the room. They seem to resonate somewhat with the cabinet itself. I tried to fix some rubber under the screws for better vibration control but didnt really work. I then installed a speed controller, so I can control the RPM!

So the cooling in the cabinet along with the papst replacement fan in the EP 2500 - I hope will be enough. Here's a few pics:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your cabinet fans: What kind of rubber did you use, because people usually use very soft silicon pads in their computers. With those, you can't tighten a normal screw down at all or it will squish the silicone pads...or at least the ones I have are like that. I had to use special screws with my HDD because you can't have those loose.

You could try something like this.
http://www.acousticpc.com/acoustifan_fan_gaskets.html
If it works, you can keep your RPM's up, which will help keep your cabinet cool.

·
Registered
132 Posts
why didn't someone mention the new Behringer EPX 3000 class D ?

2 x 1500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 900 Watts into 4 Ohms; 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)
Wrong, the EPX are H class no D class, with a switching power supply. I do not think Beri is ready to ripoff labgruppen or Digam yet.

From crapigner

Instead of operating relatively continuously like Class AB circuits, Class H amps, which were first described in NASA technology (U.S. patent 3,319,175), feature rail tracking for effectively modulating the power supply rails with only the peaks of the input signal. This technology has revolutionized pro audio amp designs with its outstanding performance and efficiency. When combined with switching-mode power supplies that replace heavy toroid transformers, our new designs provide more dynamic punch and, because they are so much more efficient, run cooler and don’t require huge, heavy heat sinks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Appears to be around the same price range. More power, less heat? whats not to like?
Plus "XLR , 1/4" TRS and RCA input connectors for compatibility with any source."

Looks like a good amp. I wonder how much coin? Can't seem to find it for sale in the US.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes sorry it's is class H ....my bad (and to think i'm the one who linked it )

The most impressive feature could be this one :
Continuously variable speedfan, back-to-front air flow
As far as pricing goes, here in Australia it's similar to the EP2500/4000

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Maybe you should look at some QSC PLX amps on ebay. I recently picked up a second PLX2502 for less than $400 shipped to me and the other QSC PLX amps I have perform flawlessly for over 2 to 3 years that I have owned them. I do know that the PLX3402 performed audibly better than the Crown K2 it replaced as it had a sharper attack, the K2 sounded a bit sloppy in comparison.

I have a Mal-X too and have heard from others that the Mal-X likes a little more power and I tend to agree. The PLX2502 does great but can run out of juice but my PLX 3402 does not. If I ever get around to building the second Mal-X I have then both will have there own PLX2502 the added gain should hopefully be enough that 2 3402's aren't needed.

The reports of a few owners getting bad EP2500's right out of the box or failing after awhile scared me away but I may try the EP4000 if the response to it's performance is good. That EPX3000 QSC PLX clone looks promising as well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A few notes guys. The EPX3000 will not be more powerful than the EP2500/EP4000. If you consider that the EP4000 is the same power as the EP2500 then you should consider that the EPX3000 is rated at a lower power output than the EP4000 by Behringer. Also it is almost assuredly not a PLX clone. The EP2500 is widely known to be very close to an RMX2450 in design and the PLX series is the next line up the scale and is the more expensive QSC line. It stands to reason that the Behringer if it was a copy of a PLX would also be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I know the EPX3000 is not a PLX clone but when you glance at it the styling gives off a PLX2 series vibe. The level controls are on the inside were the PLX2 series is on the right side but the general styling I believe is meant to resemble the PLX2 series.

The EPX3000 is more expensive than the EP4000 by $70 MSRP which is not too significant.

Just trying to make some observations but mostly hoping to find out if there are any differences sonically between the EP2500 and EP4000 from those who own both.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts