Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Crown XLS 802D amps? If you go to Guitar Center's website, you can get Factory B Stock for around $425 as far as I can remember. (I'm not sure if that would be a very good decision to get the B stock ones or not...)
That is hopefully what I am going to get when my Mal-X arrives, and as soon as Christmas comes....... lol.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Crown XLS 802D amps? If you go to Guitar Center's website, you can get Factory B Stock for around $425 as far as I can remember. (I'm not sure if that would be a very good decision to get the B stock ones or not...)
That is hopefully what I am going to get when my Mal-X arrives, and as soon as Christmas comes....... lol.
Crown only specifies a 8 ohm mono rating for the 802D. I don't think this amp would be good with the Mal-X. You would be better off with the EP2500 and you would save a few hundred to boot.

If you have to have it then google the amp and you will probably get a good price for a new A stock.

Crown probably does not recommend this amp be run bridged into a 4 ohm load which is what the Mal-X is.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Mdrake runs his Mal-X into the 4 ohm bridged mono operation. The only reason why I want to get the XLS 802D is becuase the bass is more crisp from it.
Good to hear you already have someone using it with success. Crown makes very good amps, have you ever thought about using there XTi series? They include some built in DSP to help tune your sub.

Since your a sub_junkie you will really like the Mal-X.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I don't have enough money to get the XTi series :T (I wish I did)
I can't wait until my Mal-X gets here. I have only heard commercially bought subs under $250 (besides movie theaters), so I'm sure that this will be a BIG suprise.
I will tell you how the Crown does in 4 ohm bridged mono.
I read on a Ebay selling of the XLS802D that it can safely operate in 4 ohm mono operation. I know that it's an Ebay thing, but hopefully it will be true :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
When you get ready to build make sure you come back here if you need any help or advice. There are a lot of very knowledgeable DIY builders around who are always very kind with there help.

I am always happy to offer any help as well but I freely acknowledge that there are others who are far more advanced than I.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The XTI 1000 that Chasw98 tested ( over on the AVS forum ) didn't fare well at low frequencies into 4 ohms at all. :no:There was a bit of a debacle over the testing regimin, but all of the amps he tested were tested in the same way.

You can google it to get the link. ( measuring amplifiers )

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Crown XLS serie will do 4 ohms bridged, this question is asked about once a month over Crown forum and one of the tech rep said they cannot published it for some CE compliance reason.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The Crown XLS serie will do 4 ohms bridged, this question is asked about once a month over Crown forum and one of the tech rep said they cannot published it for some CE compliance reason.
I read up on that issue, it's the possibility of exceeding 15 amps at 120V. From the Crown forums:

The 802D could possible exceed 15 amps under certain 2-ohm per channel/4-ohm Bridge-Mono "Nominal" loads and due to US regulatory compliance reasons we could not officially publish a 2-ohm/4-ohm Bridge-Mono spec for it.

To keep the entire XLS line specifications uniform it was decided to drop the 2-ohm/4-ohm Bridge-Mono spec on the 202, 402 and 602 from the sheet as well.

Internationally with most countries running at 240v AC this is not an issue - for as Supply Voltage goes up the Current requirements go down so not an issue there.
I just wondering if the amp doesn't meet US regulatory compliance for a 4 ohm bridged configuration and something goes wrong with the amp, would the amp we warrantied?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just wondering if the amp doesn't meet US regulatory compliance for a 4 ohm bridged configuration and something goes wrong with the amp, would the amp we warrantied?
The answer straight from Crown is YES and kouack is right about the rating in 4 ohm.
I LOVE my XLS. The XTI amps do have a HUGE rolloff starting at 25hz and even with their eq I could not get it flat. That and the XTI sounded like it had no "low-end punch".

Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
I read up on that issue, it's the possibility of exceeding 15 amps at 120V. From the Crown forums:

3 years no fault warranty basically anything can happen to your amp and they will fix it. What's happening with CE regulation can be just the amp will run too hot to meet a regulation or ampere rating like you wrote. Plus HT duty is far less demanding then doing a gig at full blast all night in a hot and humid bar, just not the same ball game at all.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts