Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a bit confused after reading the cabling thread. Is my understanding below correct...

My sound card has individual left and right RCA outs and then a 1/8" mini line in.

I put a splitter on the Line-in of my sound card. Right RCA goes to SPL meter and left goes to left line out. Right line-out from the sound card then gets split and fed into right and left aux-in on my pre-pro.

I guess I don't quite understand how the right out can then be split back into a R/L stereo signal at the pre-pro.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
My sound card has individual left and right RCA outs and then a 1/8" mini line in.
Got it ... next

I put a splitter on the Line-in of my sound card. Right RCA goes to SPL meter and left goes to left line out. Right line-out from the sound card then gets split and fed into right and left aux-in on my pre-pro.
What are you trying to do??? ... it looks to me that you're conmbining both process (calibrate sound card and take measurement :yes:)

To calibrate soundcard:
Use splitter on soundcard line in ( 1/8" mini to RCA) then use right (red I think, just check the RCA out to see which color is right), then connect that right cable to the right RCA labeled out in the same sound card ... then follow the instructions to calibrate sound card on REW help file :yes:

To take measurements:
Use splitter (1/8") then use the same right side ... this time that cable has to be connected to SPL/Mic and from RCA RIGHT OUT to the right side of the input on the pre-pro you'll use... don't use the left side (you don't have to connect anything on the left RCA on the mini plug) :yes:

If you want to test both front speakers at the same time, just use a "Y cable" (1 female 2 males) and connect the female side to cable from mini and the two males to pre-pro input you're using ...and don't forget to use just stereo, do not use any digital processing (Dolby, PLL, DTS, etc.)

Hope this make sense :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wayne! Thanks salvasol! This clarifies things. I think I might be on the right track now, but I am still running into an issue with the calibration step. I'll start a seperate post about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts