Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
ive been reading about the bfd on this site for a while and even bought a dsp1124p almost a year ago. i finally got the time to hook it to a sub and after doing some measurements and sending the filters to the BFD, it didnt make any difference in the graphs. from all other indications the filters are sent and stored in the bfd. the graphs before and after are the same. i can change the sub response by moving it in the room so i know its reading the sub.
any ideas ?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
any ideas ?
Yes. The filters didn't download to the BFD because you likely have version 1.3 firmware.

Shut the BFD off, then power it back on while holding the Filter Select switch down. While holding the button down the version number will show in the BFD display. If it says 1.3 then you need a new PROM with 1.4 firmware. See this thread.

Or you can enter the filters manually [which is quite easy to do and a lot less hassle].

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks brucek,

looks like i got one. what a shame too, i used to program & change proms / eproms on a daily basis when i worked as a tech. had a burner and trashed it with all the other "junk". hey at least they used sockets on the proms !

this unit is not for my HT, im tinkering with it for future installs, do the new ones have updated firmware ?? if so i'll buy another onw for now till i get this one upgraded

thanks

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
do the new ones have updated firmware ?? if so i'll buy another onw for now till i get this one upgraded
Yes, if you can find one. The BFD1124P has been discontinued and replaced by the FBQ 2496. Better specs, but only one program slot for filters instead of the ten that the 1124P has. There's no problem with the 2496 midi.

I guess if you're doing installs, you use REW?

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we havent used any software other than the auto setup in the recievers.
we use onkyo recievers and various speakers. most of our customers main concern is cosmetics, so we put in alot of inwalls and hidden electronics. what im trying to do is get the best sound for our price range which ranges from 3 to 5k. i did however use REW to check the sub on one job. the room was the hardest ive had to work with. it had a JBL ep250. sounded bad and we had a hard time getting it in a good spot so i brought my pc over there and ran REW. it wasnt good but with the help of REW we got the best we could(no BFD). i dont like that sub but the customer wanted it, so its in there.

thanks again,

i just checked my account and we bought the BFD in july of 2006 so i guess they will send me a prom

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
what im trying to do is get the best sound for our price range which ranges from 3 to 5k
Have you ever listened to that SBS-01 5.1 System for ~$1000. Pretty good sound for not much money. SVS has an advert here, so it probably sounds like I'm promoting them, but I couldn't care less either way. It just seems like a pretty good bang for buck system.

so we put in alot of inwalls
Yeah, tough to get good sound when a speaker is in the wall.
A lot of people here have the receivers with auto eq and seem to like it quite a bit. They always seem to still add a BFD for that low room mode though...

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you ever listened to that SBS-01 5.1 System for ~$1000
yes ive been trying to put a set in since they came out. hard to sell that large plain jane box look to ppl that want everything hidden or miniature . i like them, i just dont get these ppl huh ? i do have a guy who says if they're that good then he's sold. he wants to hook them to a HK AVR 645 so it should do well. i've even got him primed for the BFD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts