Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to pull the triger on a shiva , and am just wondering if i should wait it out , or if i could just get a quick price quote.. Sorry if this has been asked before, but im literally on the DIYCable page waiting to put in my CC # lol

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The gen 1 Shiva kicks butt . At the price it is now it is a steal. I have one in a 4cf sealed enclosure and it is great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i had a feeling i would get some unbias positive feedback :D

Ok the $50 extra bucks doesnt bother me at all .. I more than likely am just gonna use the dayton or the bash 500 watt plate amp, so the only thing that would hold me back from the gen II would be either a long wait, or it needing alot more than 500 watts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
thanks guys, i had a feeling i would get some unbias positive feedback :D

Ok the $50 extra bucks doesnt bother me at all .. I more than likely am just gonna use the dayton or the bash 500 watt plate amp, so the only thing that would hold me back from the gen II would be either a long wait, or it needing alot more than 500 watts

The GenII won't require any more power than the GenI. One of my goals with these was to keep them usable with common 500W amps. It hits a sweet-spot in terms of the price/performance area so designing them so that they required 2KW amps was out of the question.

This is a refinement in the design, not a total makeover. If you like the box designs for the GenI, buy them now. If you want a slightly smaller box design, wait for the Gen II and pay the extra $50.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things you can spend the $50 savings with the gen 1:

nicer finishing:bigsmile:
5 star dvd movies with bass:T
put it toward a 2nd gen 1 Shiva:hsd:
whats a DV...D..??:scratch:

:D

always good options there.... I am a little tight on space so Kevin , a few questions for you, or anyone else who knows.. I'm sorry if they have been asked before but i just wanna try to get everything set ;)

- release on Gen II

-how much smaller of an enclosure are we talking?? i want to optimize the performance of the sub , and from what i hear its the 6 cube setup...

- are we talking a noticable diffrence in sound or output of the 2?

thanks again guys,

Matt

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
whats a DV...D..??:scratch:

:D

always good options there.... I am a little tight on space so Kevin , a few questions for you, or anyone else who knows.. I'm sorry if they have been asked before but i just wanna try to get everything set ;)

- release on Gen II

-how much smaller of an enclosure are we talking?? i want to optimize the performance of the sub , and from what i hear its the 6 cube setup...
There really is no such thing as an optimal size unless you qualify some of the other variables. It is probably more accurate to say there is a RANGE of optimal sizes. Those are outlined in the application notes.

- are we talking a noticable diffrence in sound or output of the 2?

thanks again guys,

Matt
To keep the answer simple, no. There isn't a notable difference in output or SQ. You have to understand that you don't get more output without having more swept volume. The only way to get more output is to move more air. The only way to get more out of a given sized device (with all other variables remaining the same) is to add more stroke. Add more stroke and you need more power to use it. So you can quickly see, that adding more stroke doesn't only increase the cost of the driver, it increases the cost of the amplification needed to run it and the overall cost of the finished system.

The size thing is not a free trade-off either. You give up a little bandwidth when you optimize for a smaller enclosure. You can equalize to get back that bandwidth, but that requires extra design complexity.

The GenII product is not a radical re-design. It will use probably 10-15% smaller enclosures, and give up some bandwidth (in a sealed design) doing so. In the ported or PR applications, it is just about a break-even in terms of bandwidth and that drove the design choices rather than the bandwidth in a sealed design unassisted (without EQ).

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There really is no such thing as an optimal size unless you qualify some of the other variables. It is probably more accurate to say there is a RANGE of optimal sizes. Those are outlined in the application notes.

To keep the answer simple, no. There isn't a notable difference in output or SQ. You have to understand that you don't get more output without having more swept volume. The only way to get more output is to move more air. The only way to get more out of a given sized device (with all other variables remaining the same) is to add more stroke. Add more stroke and you need more power to use it. So you can quickly see, that adding more stroke doesn't only increase the cost of the driver, it increases the cost of the amplification needed to run it and the overall cost of the finished system.

The size thing is not a free trade-off either. You give up a little bandwidth when you optimize for a smaller enclosure. You can equalize to get back that bandwidth, but that requires extra design complexity.

The GenII product is not a radical re-design. It will use probably 10-15% smaller enclosures, and give up some bandwidth (in a sealed design) doing so. In the ported or PR applications, it is just about a break-even in terms of bandwidth and that drove the design choices rather than the bandwidth in a sealed design unassisted (without EQ).

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Thanks you for all the help.. Im going to order the shiva tomorrow, then maybe down the road add a tempest, or maelstrom ... Since being on avs and now here i see alot of new things, in how ppl use pre/pro, add equilazation, seperates etc ( behringer 202500/mic220 ) But since your here, ill just ask what you recommend for "my" situation...

I have a odd shaped setup, as you will see.. I love low end, a little bit more than the more accurate tight sealed sound.. Just for the fact that i have been a basshead for years in Car audio..

-my room is about 16x24 with a 8 foot vaulted ceiling, which gives me right around 3000 cubit feet.. My actual room isnt that big , but the living room are basically one big room..

- what amp.. been discessed , but i just want to make sure i get what will work best for what i want and need out of it... Something like the behringer pre/pro, a plate amp etc.. I am on a budget, so ( in the pre/pro setup ) even tho its more if it will be easier to add another sub in the future i might go that way, unless you think just a standard plate amp will work best..??

Thanks again to Kevin and everyone else that helped me out here, im new to HT so its all just getting soaked in like a sponge

- I dont know if it matters but my receiver is just a pioneer VSX 819

1 - 12 of 12 Posts