Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been contemplating the idea of placing my subs (after built) in the back of the room which is about 25 ft maybe from the front of the room and entertainment center . I know it's best to have the subs as close to the amp as possible. Should I move the amp to the back with the subs or will I be okay?

It's a ep2500 going to two ed 16Ov.2. What gauge speaker wire should be used?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
A good quality 12 gauge copper wire should be sufficient. I have the same amp and it is about 15 feet away from my sub and I have no issues. I actually bought the wire at Lowes and saved a little money. I didn't need anything that looked nice because it was hidden anyway.:yes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know it's best to have the subs as close to the amp as possible.
-1. One of the worst ideas ever was the self-powered sub, as a remote amp using unbalanced connections is an invitation for ground loops. But they are convenient.
Ground loops are minimized by having the sub amp located as close as possible to the receiver. A speaker wire with a DCR of less than 10% of the speaker impedance has an inaudible insertion loss, but if you're really fussy about it you can go to 1%. Figure out the required gauge with this:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
When I was running my behemoth diy sub in the back of my HT room, about 20', I preferred to run a single balanced cable from my BFD to my EP2500. It was a lot easier to hide the one cable. The only issue was cutting it on and off manually got aggravating. I ended up getting another Panamax unit for that amp... ran another very tiny relay turn-on cable from my front Panamax to the rear Panamax. Worked out very well and I only had a very short speaker run. I personally prefer the balanced run over the speaker cable run.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Danged browser specific code. Tells me requires Internet Explorer. That's not an option for me. : \
What browser are you using? If you're using Firefox, there's a great add-on called IE tab that will display pages in a tab in Firefox, but use the IE rendering engine. I used to need to use it for my bank's website, until I complained long and loud enough that they made their login page standards-compliant instead of MicroSoft-compliant.

There are still site designers that don't seem to understand that MS != standards, and use FrontPage to design their web sites. I usually just don't go to them, but if I really need to, the IE tab add-on is a great tool.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand it. Some developers just don't seem to get it. I've noticed less of these sites over the last year, which is a good thing.

Anyway I'm a Mac user so the IE tab don't work for me unless I flip over to the PC via parallels software (which I will) but, I just had to complain. : )

Thanks fo rthe IE tab reference. It is a nice tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts