Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you are using the sub with a fairly recent DD or DTS surround sound receiver then you don't need a crossover. It's built into the receiver.
....Unless you're using a receiver that "flys in the face of conventional thinking" because it has TWO XO points that nobody you've talked too has a clue how to set it up...:huh:

Bob :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A friend of mine has one sitting right above his TV and says it isn't a problem. I've only been over to his house once, but I didn't notice the fans at all.

EDIT: The Nady fans are louder, not quieter, than the Behringer fans. You can, however, replace the Nady fans with quiet PC fans (Panaflo, for example). I think the common fix for the Behringer is to put a resistor in series with the fan to slow it down, because the fans aren't a standard size.
The Behringer fan is 24 Volts and is standard PC (home computer) size.

My replacement 24 V fan (Papst 8414 NGL) is totally silent as regards air movement but can be heard ticking from close up.

The original Behringer fan was so noisy I could hear it 12 feet away as a waterfall sound through the cones of my IB from where it was sitting in the rear enclosure.

On my IB the lower speed fan does not cause any overheating whatsoever. I monitored the heatsink for a while with a digital thermometer. The temperature only rose above ambient by a couple of degrees F even after an hour of Metallica @ 100dB. :T

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't been on here lately, but I ended up getting the BASH amp sent to me. I talked to PE and they said I wouldn't get the amp, then got an email the next day saying it had shipped.

So, I have done the capacitor replacement for a highpass around 15Hz. The caps were not easy to access, but the amp is working great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't been on here lately, but I ended up getting the BASH amp sent to me. I talked to PE and they said I wouldn't get the amp, then got an email the next day saying it had shipped.

So, I have done the capacitor replacement for a highpass around 15Hz. The caps were not easy to access, but the amp is working great.
You replaced the caps? I thought changing the R17 and R18 resistors in the pre-amp were all that was needed. What exactly did you do? I have two of these I did the resistor change on but haven't yet finished the enclosures for them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry Boomie, I mistyped... I keep mixing up the word capacitor and resistor.

I replaced the resistors, that is all I did. I also finished and painted the box for it, however, I may repaint it when I finish the sub because the edges didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sorry Boomie, I mistyped... I keep mixing up the word capacitor and resistor.

I replaced the resistors, that is all I did. I also finished and painted the box for it, however, I may repaint it when I finish the sub because the edges didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.
Whew! You gave me a bit o' pucker there for a moment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also, as soon as I can get the images of the amp/box uploaded I will post them up here. The pictures don't do the box justice, but you can see it anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have two Nady XA-900 amps. Replacing the fans is a snap. I cannot hear the fans at all and the amp runs cool even during testing. Stable as can be into two ohms running parallel mode two channels, one channel per driver.

Some info for both the Behringer and the Nady Here

21 - 30 of 30 Posts