Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope somebody can point me in right direction. I have coming a Behringer EP4000 to hookup up to an 18 Maelstrom and want to make sure I understand the proper wiring. My receiver is the Pioneer Elite 23. I also ordered a RCA to XLR cable to connect from receiver to amp and speaker wire to go from amp to sub. I figured to come from LFE plug to one side of amp and then run amp bridged to sub. This sounds to easy, am I missing something? I've never dealt with any pro audio stuff so any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
You got it right. Just make sure you set the dip switches on the amp correctly for bridge mode and you will be good to go. When you get the amp and are ready to hook it up and have questions just ask and someone will be glad to help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Behringer EP4000 does not include a subsonic filter, correct? If not, where would a subsonic filter fit in this connection chain for a ported design?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I believe it does have filters. One is 50hz and one is 30hz. But you want to go lower than that with your sub anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe it does have filters. One is 50hz and one is 30hz. But you want to go lower than that with your sub anyway.
Okay ... so lets imagine I want to use an EP4000 with a HP filter @ 18 Hz.

Would I disable the HP filter options presented by the EP4000 (30/50) and introduce a filter somewhere else in the signal chain? Before or after the amp? Is there a standalone HP filter module/circuit used by people in this forum?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Okay ... so lets imagine I want to use an EP4000 with a HP filter @ 18 Hz.

Would I disable the HP filter options presented by the EP4000 (30/50) and introduce a filter somewhere else in the signal chain? Before or after the amp? Is there a standalone HP filter module/circuit used by people in this forum?

Thanks
Yes you would set both filters to the off position. I used my sms-1 to eq and HP my sub so that is all I have any experience with. I think alot of people here use the BFD and REW with their subs, there is some info here...http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/14096-bfd-deq-2496-a.html&ei=3tiWS_apPIj18Qa5o5km&sa=X&oi=forum_cluster&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=4&ved=0CAsQrAIoAzAA&usg=AFQjCNHU4MxdruU3Wb69ZrHHU1HgqT6NrA REW forum is here....http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad the question about the filter was brought up. Mine is a sealed enclosure, where do I want to set mine? I have no EQ as of now but possibly later. Thanks for the replies already.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm glad the question about the filter was brought up. Mine is a sealed enclosure, where do I want to set mine? I have no EQ as of now but possibly later. Thanks for the replies already.
You don't require a high-pass filter for a sealed enclosure. For a ported enclosure the driver effectively unloads near the tuning frequency of the box which can damage the driver if not filtered. For a sealed enclosure you may want EQ to boost the low-end to flatten the response but it is not required to protect the driver. WinISD is great for modeling the response of a given sub-woofer design with/without EQ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't require a high-pass filter for a sealed enclosure. For a ported enclosure the driver effectively unloads near the tuning frequency of the box which can damage the driver if not filtered. For a sealed enclosure you may want EQ to boost the low-end to flatten the response but it is not required to protect the driver. WinISD is great for modeling the response of a given sub-woofer design with/without EQ.
Thank you, I will download WinISD this afternoon and play around with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Please help. I've got everything setup and I thought hooked up. I turn on amp and get nothing. My connections are XLR to RCA cable from subout on headunit to input 1 on EP4000, speaker wires running from two center binding posts to sub. When I turn amp on I get power light on right to come on but thats it, the signal light does not lite up. Any ideas?

I just hooked up my old infinity sub to the subout connection and it worked fine. It must be the cable, is there a way to test it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I downloaded the manual. Since you are connected to the center terminals, you are in bridge mode. Your input should be connected to Channel 1, and DIP switches 6&7 should be "on". As stated previously, make sure the speaker coil are in series so the amplifier sees 4 ohms. It should work, but don't forget to raise the Channel 1 level control.

Note the manual states the Channel 2 gain control must be in its left most position to prevent phase inversion. Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Joe, but I did everything you stated and I still have nothing. No signal light lit and no sound. I dont think the amp is getting any signal from the receiver but I dont know how to verify that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
John,

Let's try going back to basics. Put the DIP switches back to normal, and try the amp as a stereo unit. Connect a speaker to channel 1 and put a signal into it and see if it works. Then do the same for channel 2. If nothing works, take a look at the RCA to XLR cable. If you have access to an ohmmeter, the center pin of the RCA should be connected to pin 2 on the XLR, and the outer ring or ground of the RCA should be connected to pins 1&3 of the XLR since you are running in an unbalanced mode.

Since you indicated the Infinity sub works, it appears it's either the cable or the amp that's bad.

One other thing is on the subwoofer, I assume you wired the coils in series with the correct polarity; that is, input to + on the first coil, - on the first to + on the second, and - on the second coil back to the amp. Although I never tried it, I suspect if they were wired out of phase, the speaker would not respond.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Also make sure the dip switches are in this position for bridge mode.
1.Right
2.Left
3.Right
4.Left
5.Left
6.Right
7.Right
8.Right
9.Left
10.Left

And this for two channel.

Left