Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well..i saw alot of guys using behringer's ep 2500 for powering dual Q 18's(my plan) in setups ..however..i know that the behringer doesnt put out 2500 rms maybe somewhere around 1000 so i was thinking ..maybe the dayton hpsa 1000w :dontknow:plate amp might do a better job and give me a little extra features...any ideas or opinions??all is welcomed..thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it isnt rms power and the amp isnt stable at 2 ohm, it's a sales rep number..as tested by that very same dude..he says that on the same post...sorry..is rms power bu the amp cant produce 2500w for hours...not even minutes at most stable loads it produces 400 to 600 rms...:?...thats why i'm asking..lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
The FI Q 18 dual one ohm 18 is rated to 1000w. You are right it won't push a 2 ohm bridged mono load for more than 2 seconds. But that it would run 2 ohm loads on two channels and pushes out between 800 and 1000 watts per channel at a 2 ohm load. So you could get the dual 1 ohm Q 18s and push them both off one ep2500. Although I bet stepping up to a good crown, QSC PLX3402 or 2 ep2500s is the better option.

You can get the Q 18 in dual 1 or dual 2 ohm coils.

Still the dayton 1000w tests to 500w which isn't anywhere near what you want for 2 Q 18s

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
500watts??....i thought that was the hspa 1000-r not the plate amp......oh btw i didnt buy the Q's as yet....still planning..im gnna buy themm to suit whatever amp i get.

·
Registered
177 Posts
500watts??....i thought that was the hspa 1000-r not the plate amp......oh btw i didnt buy the Q's as yet....still planning..im gnna buy themm to suit whatever amp i get.
It was their rack mount amp, but to me it indicates how they rate their gear. I don't expect them to be any more accurate on a plate amp then on a rack mount.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well i guess ill be going behringer.....so could you tell me whats the best options in running my setup-by that i mean the greatest power output with the lesser of all risks-fi Q's come in D1 & D2 coils and im gonna be running both of the single 2500.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
ok well i guess ill be going behringer.....so could you tell me whats the best options in running my setup-by that i mean the greatest power output with the lesser of all risks-fi Q's come in D1 & D2 coils and im gonna be running both of the single 2500.
Found the samson pg2200 here for a bit more to your door. UPDATE: I had a second linked company, Musician'sBuy.com, but a BBB check showed sketchy history (and address changes) with the company: advise HTS'ers look it up for yourselves. The first, SamAsh, had an excellent rating.
The pg3800 can be had for $50 more here, which I think may be better suited for you since you're running a pair, I don't know. How much RMS power is optimal for a Fi 18" speaker? (Or the Mal-x? not trying to thread steal) The samson's have a 3 year warranty if they are authorized dealers (I have to check). Anyone ever seen any test results on the samson pg2200 or pg3800?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i mean..that say the amp runs better on 8ohms per channel for 600watts(just reference..not real specs)..will that be good..so from there i can choose the coils for the Q's-but im going with a 18 cubic ft box and i wanna port around 20-24
i was just looking at the ep 2500 tests on [email protected] 2 ohms/channel-it puts out 819 rms however @ 4ohms/channel the output is 633 rms so i was thinking since 2 ohm kinda pushes the amp to limits and going frorm 633 - 819 rms wont make a difference in spl...whats the point..maybe dual 2's in series per channel is a good idea......do you think the Q's will run well on 633 rms?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't understand. The EP2500 is perfectly stable in 2ohm stereo. "pushing its limits", what do you mean? Every amp is pushed when it's near its capacity, but that doesn't matter as long as it works and doesn't overheat. The EP2500 bridged in 4ohm, or stereo 2ohm doesn't get too hot, it works.

It's designed for that.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Actually it's more like 825w per channel into 2ohms and an estimated 1650w at 4 ohm bridged as tested in the link above. We are talking about bass here. 1khz is a field day for any amp. Look at the 20hz results. It kept popping fuses when the 4ohm bridge test was tried. BTW this is not a bad showing for it. It should be quite a bit better when actual program material is used.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually it's more like 825w per channel into 2ohms and an estimated 1650w at 4 ohm bridged as tested in the link above. It kept popping fuses when the 4ohm bridge test was tried. BTW this is not a bad showing for it. It should be quite a bit better when actual program material is used.
That's true :), sinus waves puts the maximum amount of pressure on the amps, it's nowhere near program material as you say.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts