Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've presently got a AVA 15 in a 4^3 ft sealed enclosure and I want to power it with a pro amp. I also plan on adding a BFD to eq the low end response. The AVA 15's pnom 800W. Since this is a dual 2 ohm driver what would be a good pro amp to mate with it?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Crown, Lab Gruppen, Yorkville Make good amps and i'm pretty sure that they can all handle 2 ohm loads (make sure you specify 2ohm if ordering Yorkville they have 4 ohm versions as well)

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
What about Behringer Amps?

Blaser

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on a budget a bit!
Maybe I've got two ways to go about this (I hope). I could get the Europower 2500 and run both channels to each of the AVA's coils. Or get the Buttkicker and run the AVA's coils in series. Right now my AVA's coils are wired in serie for a 4 ohm load. Suggestions?
Also, will I have any problems using a BFD with either amp? I'll do a Google search on the PLX amps in the meantime.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would get the EP2500, then connect it as a 4Ohm load bridged so you get some good power. Ignore the ratings on the EP2500 as it will not put out 2400watts, or even close to it. but it will power the AVA quite nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Budget?

The QSC PLX amps deserve a look.
Well, these amps look great, but are you sure they are within budget???? :whistling:

B Rgds
Blaser

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Pxl series is out of my range. Will it be ok to connect the BFD to my pre-pro & sub without a cleanbox?

·
Registered
306 Posts
sure you could, but you may not get enough voltage to actually get some good sound out of you're sub.

the clean box just increases the voltage so the amp will output more based on that new higher input voltage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I'd better clarify my budget. My target range is:
Amp: ~$250-350* (*w/ Cleanbox if required)
BFD 1124P: ~$60-100 (off Ebay or new)

I don't plan on running two subs (space constraints) or adding an additional driver to my present one (they're hard to find anyway). As for the amp choice, it will either be the Buttkicker or the Behringer. The (mild) concerns I have now are twofold: 1) bridging the pro amp (longevity/reliability) & 2) running a Buttkicker amp outside of it's intended application.

·
Registered
521 Posts
2) running a Buttkicker amp outside of it's intended application.
Well you put that concern to rest. There are numerous folks out there including me, using the BKA with their sub. I am very pleased.

But the EP2500 should perform very well for you, should you choose it. I'd do what ccdoggy said, and bridge it (wire the VCs in series), should you choose to get it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm using a Buttkicker to power two RL-p 15"s in an IB now, and it's worked great, although I haven't even come close to giving the amp a good workout. It's nice to have no fans, and no worrying about needing a Cleanbox or whatnot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The buttkicker also has auto-on and an RCA input, better match for LFE outputs on HT receiver/processors, though there are certainly workarounds for this if you're going with a pro amp.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Behringer EP 2500. Gobs of power at a reasonable price and for $8 you can put a panaflow fan in that will make it silent beyond 2 feet. Mine is powering 4 RL-P 15's.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I am using the 1000 watt Buttkicker with an RL-P15 and RL-P18 and it works fine. My assumption was if it can move a 2 pound piece of metal, it can probably move a cone. It seems to work just fine.:clap:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your help guys!

I decided to get a Buttkicker amp from Musician's Friend.
It's on backorder right now (till 6-1 07). Can't wait to hook it up.:bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts