Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been enjoying my Exodus Audio Tempest X2 in it's 3 cu ft sealed enclosure for over a year now, but unfortunately the O Audio Bash 500 has stopped working.
It is not worth repairing and I'm curious as to what options I have on a replacement?
O Audio currently have the Bash 500 plate amp on back order & likely won't have any for a few months! :sad:
The amp has to be 220-250 volt (Australia) and ideally a plate style - but will consider a full sized power amp.
I'd love to keep it around the US$300 mark - if possible?
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :T

Daz.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Is 300 before shipping?

There are some amps I was looking at importing but they are close to 500 after shipping is included.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but the $500 will likely be pushing the budget a little too far.
I've looked at the Behringer iNuke 1000 & 1000DSP & was hoping someone would be kind enough to educate me on which model is better suited to this application?
I'm using a Yamaha 7.1 amp with Subwoofer Out (RCA), so am I right in thinking the DSP version with crossovers isn't required? :rubeyes:
Also, Can you mount a rack style amp in to an entertainment unit (picture on 1st post)?
Thanks in adavance!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking about mounting the amp? Confused

Are you trying to bolt the face of your amp to the entertainment center?

Even with your Yamaha's EQ it is better to have post EQ to aid in smoothing out dips and boosts because of placement. That being said you might be perfectly happy with the onboard DSP of your Yamaha. I myself would buy a power amp and separate EQ.

I am not fully aware of the capabilities of the Inuke DSP but I would highly recommend using a MiniDspor other external for EQ and a power amp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response.
I plan to fit the Behringer amp in one of the entertainment unit's openings - much like my Yamaha 7.1 amp.
I really want to keep the install basic, so external EQ's are not going to happen.
What single subwoofer specific features does the DSP version have that would warrant the extra premium?
Is the DSP version the one people generally buy for this application?
p.s. Apologies for these n00b questions...:huh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About to order an amp & have also seen the Crown XLS 1000.
Can the Crown's HPF be set lower than the Manual's 50Hz (page 8 of the below link).
http://www.crownaudio.com/media/storagebk/pdf/amps/142169-1_XLS3_MultilingualManual_032410.pdf

I'm thinking that if frequencies below 50Hz (frequent in home theatre!) are filtered - the Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP (I think it's HPF is adjustable down to 20Hz?) may be more ideal for my application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :huh:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
From what I just read it would appear the lowest setting you can select for Hpass is 50hz.

You could use the Low pass crossover and build a manual Hpass for your speaker if you chose to. Or you could go with the Inuke.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As my Tempest X2 is in a sealed enclosure, can I leave the amp on 'full range' and just use my Yamaha AVR's LPF, set at say 80Hz?

p.s. Thank you for responding! :T

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Yes.......The amp will just be the power and you can use your Yamaha crossover. After looking at WinIsd sims with 1100watts you wont need a Hpass in 3cuft either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed the Crown yesterday afternoon & am liking it's 'punchy' output with more power!
I did have to turn the gain of the Yamaha Amp to maximum & the Crown's gain is almost at 80%!
Is this normal for an AVR's RCA signal to be less than a Pro Amp's?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I always set my levels by connecting the avr to the poweramp and then playing some music such as bass heavy music or movie. I do this at reference level or whatever levels you like to play that are very loud. Then adjust levels on the gain knobs of the amp. I do all this before hooking up my speaker to the amp.

I adjust the levels so that the clipping limiter comes on very faintly during a bass heavy track. I know I wont listen to my setup at this level but I know what the amp is setup for by doing this. Then add your speaker/subwoofer.

Have you seen the clipping lights come on at all yet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already set the Crown's & Yamaha's gains like you've suggested above & only get clipping lights at volumes louder than '10' on the AVR (stupid loud).
This is with using car audio bass testing songs.
I have no issues in setting the gains, I just thought the gains were very high to achieve this output!?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts