Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Your AALs are not nearly as efficient as the P215s but also the "B" output automatically reduces the output when engaged as you are sharing the same amp across the front channels. This is done to prevent damage. You do not want to run both sets of speaker at the same time ever or you will damage the receiver.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your running both pairs of speakers at the same time. Yes, you can damage the amp as its then putting even more strain on it.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
As long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level there should be no issues with running both sets of speakers.
If you hear distortion turn it down.
If the AVR trips off let it cool and don't turn it up that loud again.
You do not have to be afraid of using your equipment, just pay attention until you have excercised it for a while.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would think depending on how the amp splits the signal can determine if it will do damage to itself or not running both A and B speakers

If the AVR runs the signal in series you would be ok

If the AVR runs the signal in parallel then yes it will fry it

I have no clue which way it gets the power

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I would think depending on how the amp splits the signal can determine if it will do damage to itself or not running both A and B speakers If the AVR runs the signal in series you would be ok If the AVR runs the signal in parallel then yes it will fry it I have no clue which way it gets the power
It should run in series. Can't imaging an engender designing an amp with the ability to run a&b together w/o making the amp able to do that. So yes my guess would be series.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Right why would they design the amp with A&B if its not made to be used that way. In the setup I can change the way the sound is sent to the B outputs, "front height, front wide or just B. I can also bi amp the front or set set up zone 2 but that uses the surround back outputs.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There may be a term discrepancy popping up.

Typical it's only stereo receivers with A&B channels. That is one amp to drive both. That was what I'm referring to.

Surround sound AVRs with 7ch+ sometimes have a pair of assignable terminals that can play independently as channels 6&7 or zone2 or "B" the difference is these have independent amplification allowing you to bi-amp.

The reason you can't truly bi-amp from B is because you're still drawing from the same amp. So you have the same load and the same voltage drop/resistance.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Here's the manual page that deals with the Front Wide/Surround Back relationship. This raises the question - Are you trying to run surround back speakers with the front wide speakers? From what you say I would guess not and the volume difference is sensitivity related since it appears that the surround back amps are used.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
567 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
One more thing to check is the front speaker levels in MCACC. If there is a substantial boost vs the SB this could be the culprit.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I should add "B" assignment also means a common volume trim. So as "A" gets louder so does "B"

Your AVR is a 9ch so the assignable speakers become 8&9 or it's a 3zone so 6&7 and 8&9 are both usable pairs; I think it's a 9ch 2zone.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Check again. Pioneer lists the VSX-70 as 7.2. I can't find a configuration in the manual where more than 7 full range channels are available simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Count your terminals you have 9
Count your speakers in the literature you posted. See the diagrams you're using up to 9

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Don't want to get into a war over this. In my previous post where I included that specific manual page the configurations which show 9 channels present have text that states when when FH or FW or "B" speakers are in use then no sound will come from the SB speakers. Pioneer allows for the use of the SB amps for those 3 options in their 7.2 platforms. It places them on terms 8&9 so that if the options aren't desired (for whatever reason) the SB can be placed back into action without rewiring.

Like I said, don't want to get in a fight, just don't want to mis-lead the OP either.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't want to get into a war over this. In my previous post where I included that specific manual page the configurations which show 9 channels present have text that states when when FH or FW or "B" speakers are in use then no sound will come from the SB speakers. Pioneer allows for the use of the SB amps for those 3 options in their 7.2 platforms. It places them on terms 8&9 so that if the options aren't desired (for whatever reason) the SB can be placed back into action without rewiring. Like I said, don't want to get in a fight, just don't want to mis-lead the OP either.
My bad I misread that.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That's cool. It had me scratching my head right after I bought my SC-71. My 43TX was easier. SB doubled for bi-amping the front speakers. So many more options are available on the newer Pioneer stuff in comparison ... but I digress.

Like I said, just want the OP to stay on track.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts