Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a serious problem if the amps wattage is higher than the speakers max rated wattage? For instance if using a Crown K1 amp, which is probably around 1100 watts, with a 300 watt rms sub, will you eventually cook the speaker?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can do damage to your speakers with an under powered amp just as easy by driving it to hard and getting square waves out. Changing voltage and the motion of the voice coil in the magnetic field cause a current to flow in the opposite direction as that supplied by the amplifier. This keeps the actual current that flows through the voice coil relatively low. The time during the peaks (which is most of the time) This back EMF is not generated and so the current through the voice coil is much higher, making more heat which can destroy the voice coil.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
if using a Crown K1 amp, which is probably around 1100 watts, with a 300 watt rms sub, will you eventually cook the speaker?
Only when you exceed the subs power handling ability. I've had a cheap 100 watt sub powered by 500 watt amp with no problem. It's all about being aware of the subs limitations, and not exceeding it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only when you exceed the subs power handling ability. I've had a cheap 100 watt sub powered by 500 watt amp with no problem. It's all about being aware of the subs limitations, and not exceeding it.
Wow... thanks for all the fast replies. Excellent information.

So even though the Crown K1 is rated much higher versus the sub, I'm still OK. I won't be driving the sub very hard at all since i have such a small room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts