Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think when I read about power amps heating up your room I thought that was a euphemism for they got a little hot to touch.

Now I know that yes indeed it is possible to raise the temperature in your room (mine is small) to a noticeable degree with a pair of big monoblocs.

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just got a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's yesterday. They are rated at 1000 watts a piece in a 4 ohm load. Never heard what big power does before....it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you have speakers that can handle it (like LS-9's) big power can do some wonderful things. I always thought it was a shame when I read about people powering their LS beauties with a measly 200 watts or less.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I might have been pushing them a little too hard. I've got them stacked right now (only have one amp stand) so between me pushing them hard and the effect of heat rising the top amp went into protection.

I'm just surprised I didn't burn a hole in the mylar panel (or my eardrum)

So stacking is unadvised when you push these amps....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an Onkyo 805 and XPA-5 running and actually set up just basic $10 fan from walmart to trigger on when the Onkyo is fired up. the Fan is plugged directly into the onkyo and runs over thye top of the receiver and amp and they always stay pretty cool as a result. Of course this is all hidden so you don't see a fan running.

Now I just need to figure out how to trigger the xpa-5 on also so I don't have to get off the couch to fire it up. Yes we are only talking 200 watts but it is a huge improvement over the onkyo for my non-efficient speakers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for posting that. We've toyed around with the idea of getting an xpa-5 for our onkyo 805 as well, but didn't know much it really improved the sound.

Honestly though, at this point I'd be more inclined to try the Pro-10's rather than add more power to the Rockets.

So far I have mixed feelings about the XPA-1's. The power is nice, and they have better woofer control than my old McIntosh. But I think there's a little glare there that wasn't present with the McIntosh. Could be a synergy thing, or possible cables. I'm hoping cables, as I really like the power.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, my JC-1s do fine job on global warming, too. During the summer I might get 3 hours in before I have to evacuate the room, even with the air on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my JC-1s do fine job on global warming, too. During the summer I might get 3 hours in before I have to evacuate the room, even with the air on.
I bet. I really wanted a pair of JC-1's. I just missed a pair on agon that went for $3k :hissyfit:

This makes me wonder what some of the 250 lb Krell's are like? :dizzy:

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's another pair up for that same price, but with an unknown seller. Good price.

I've had two very, very bad experiences trying to buy an accompanying A-51, but thankfully PayPal came though. Unfortunately one was with a deeler who had a good rep and good number of sales.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's another pair up for that same price, but with an unknown seller. Good price.
That's the ones. I called the guy on the second day of the listing and he told me they were already sold.

Don't know what to think about the Emo's so far. Or the stacked panels for that matter. I know in the present room (we're finally starting to move stuff today) I preferred the single pair of speakers and the McIntosh, even though it didn't have the headroom.

I probably won't have things set up for at least a week at the new house, but based on initial impressions this new setup may not be my cup of tea. I want to give it a chance in the new house, but I've heard from people that I consider knowledgeable that you can tell right off the bat if a piece of equipment is something you're gonna like.

Oh well.....back to moving :yuck:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I didn't want to say anything because I am totally biased against Emotiva for two-channel (and I really mean biased because it is not from personal experience). It comes from my experience with my Outlaw 7100 and my Virtue Two. My Virtue Two just knocks the socks off my Outlaw for two channel at a fraction of the power rating, and the Outlaw amps are good, solid HT amps. I see Emotiva as the offshore built version of the Outlaw amps. Lots of power for the money.
Emac uses an Outlaw 7125 with his O3s and has no complaints. We have very similar impressions of speakers, so go figure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts