Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I currently have a single Shiva-X in a 3.5 cubic foot sealed box powered by one of those MCM 300 watt amps that were on sale last winter... Anyway it sounds really, really good for both movies and music and I couldn't be more stoked with the performance, however, as is so common with the DIY territory I think I am going to add a second Shiva-X in a matching box for a little more performance which in turn will make me need a new amp.

So that said, I am looking for an amp in the ~1000 watt range that will work well with 2 shivas. I either will need to wire them at 2 or 8 ohm mono or dual 4 ohm on a stereo amp. I am thinking of the behringer ep1500, but what are some other options that I should look at with say a $400 budget... Thanks

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Are you in need of crossover or low pass filtration? If not I think it's going to be hard to beat the EP1500 for the money. They should be available for well under your budget. You could always take a look at the plate amps available at partsexpress.com as they have some that are that powerfull.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No my receiver takes care of the crossover needs, so I just need amplification. I think the EP1500 seems the best for my needs particularly in regards to price when up against 2-500 watt plate amps. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good choice?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think it is a great choice. You could even step up to the EP2500 and still be well within your budget. It would be able to overdrive the Shiva-X under some circumstances. The smaller amp clipping is better than pounding the driver to death so the lower power unit might provide more safety at the limits.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I use the 2500 to power my Shiva and it is fantastic. At 450w per channel into 4ohms it is well within the power of the driver. As posted it is not much more money and could still be used in the future if you decide to go with something that needs more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts