Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that most folks on this site are using the beheringer amps to drive there subs i know that there are several other options out there but just wondering what the other guys are using and at the same price point or has the beheringer been the most reliable and powerful of the pro sound amps available? Is it the most flexable as far as bridging go and able to run cleaner and more powerfully then others, your guys input would be great as i am in the market for somthing to drive my 2 15'' dual 4ohm subs. And if i put this post in the wrong location please move it to it's proper thread locations. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Behringer amps provide a lot of oomph for the price and can be an excellent solution for some subwoofer applications. That being said, they are pro-line designs and as such can have fan noise, s/n and distortion issues depending on how you use them, plus they require using XLR inputs which can be problematic for some users. Since they are not designed as subwoofer amplifiers an external low-pass crossover and possibly a subsonic filter will need to be provided from some other device.

Depending on your needs, you might be better off using a dedicated subwoofer amplifier. You mention using 2 DVC 4-ohm drivers. What's the make and model and how are they being used?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are kicker cvx car subs set up in separate boxes, right now they have to be wired at 8ohms so i don't kill the dayton HPSA1000s i have driveing them. Thats why i was thinking pro sound amps as they can deliver more power at a lower impedance then i'm currently able to do.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The Behringer amps arent bad. The S/N ratio was always considered a non issue personally, but I did notice Audyssey auto setup pick up on it and found it a bit picky in that regard so there are improvements to be had, but they cost, and any improvements over Behringers will cost considerably more. That said, the S/N ratio has never been an audible issue for me, only with Audyssey.

Also, you can use phono (RCA) connectors via an adapter just fine which is what I do, so the XLR inputs can be dodged easy enough.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can the behringer run two seperate 2ohm loads so i could drive both subs off one amp or would i need two? Thanks for the input guys.

Mike by the way i just put the twins down for there nap so i can get to finishig the second sub, can't wait!

·
Registered
704 Posts
They are kicker cvx car subs set up in separate boxes, right now they have to be wired at 8ohms so i don't kill the dayton HPSA1000s i have driveing them. Thats why i was thinking pro sound amps as they can deliver more power at a lower impedance then i'm currently able to do.
Using Comp VX in the home is probably the problem, not the amount of power you have going to them. What sort of enclosures are you using?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where can i find the rechorn B-1? The sight i pulled it up on was in german, i have a hard enough time time speaking english. LOL!

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Can the behringer run two seperate 2ohm loads so i could drive both subs off one amp or would i need two? Thanks for the input guys.

Mike by the way i just put the twins down for there nap so i can get to finishig the second sub, can't wait!
The Behringer can run 2 x 2ohm loads. I actually run my sub from one channel @ 2ohms. The other channel runs a Tactile Transducer :T

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's 5 cu.ft designed by mike p off of the parameters from kicker tuned to +/- 22hz. They sound really good with lots of presance but you just acn't crank it without clipping the amp.

If there was a different sub i could buy that would fit the parameters of the boxes i have built i'd try that route. Just can't afford to start over again with new boxes as the wife would hang me from the rafters in the garage, she thinks i have enough time invested allready. Plus i think that with all the help i've gotten from you guys we can make this work one or the other. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey mike. since you seem to be the go to guy for subs, is there another sub that would work in the boxess you designed for me? Or do you think we can get this setup to go? I'm open for just about anything.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hard to say. If you have each one in 5cuft tuned to 22Hz you're pushing them to about their limits, so if hitting them with 1KW from the Dayton amp is not satisfying, I don't see how doubling the power for another +3db is likely to solve that problem. Have you measured the room? It could be an installation or simple speaker location issue and not a design one.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Did you make sure the EQ level is set at zero on the Dayton amps?

If you want to go with another sub the Titanic 15 is the best I can find that would work in your box size and porting. There are big gains to be had compared to the 8 ohm Kicker getting 500 watts.

Titanic15.JPG

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave, I'm actually only pushing them with 500 watts due to fact they are wired for a 8ohm load.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike, i have not had time to recheck everything as i've been to busy and what not i'll let you know as soon as i find out.

By big gains to be had what do you mean? More power to the sub or the titanic would just be better suited for the job due to it being a 4ohm sub and not a car sub.Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts