Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, lets see how I am progressing. I did read up on baffle step's and what "2nd order" filter means, I getting there :)

My summary, no-brainer concerning a closed or vented box, go with vented but which kind. Between a extended bass shelf or the QB3 alignment, the SSF in my plate amp (Part Express amp #300-794, 250 watts)
is the determining factor here. I do NOT want to modify my plate amp (bass boost) so it is a lost to build an extended bass self cabinet.

Yellow-Butterworth vented
Blue- Extended Bass Self
Red- Close

Next post, what to do with my old KLH plate amp?

Which Shivia Box.JPG

Shivia SPL.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an old KLH subwoofer (HTIB system), I am interested in the plate amp. It says it is 120 watts, I will assume it is 50 watts. I wondering if it will be worthwhile to a second woofer using the Dayton RS 180s-8. The reason I am considering this, I am using Klipsch quintete II which are not very "beefy" (can I use that term :)

Well I am trying to figure out this audio stuff...

The Dayton is blue..

Dayton transfer.JPG

Dayton SPL.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I verify this issue. The amp was not modified. I am capable of modifying the amp if the risk is worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mention that you used a 4" diameter, 18" flared vent for this speaker (box size, 4.5 ft3). WinISD says, 4.68 ft3 box with a 4"dia, 13.6 long vent. Why the longer vent? Is the highpass filter in the amp the difference?

13.6" vent - blue
18" vent- yellow

Vent tranfer.JPG

Vent spl.JPG

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You mention that you used a 4" diameter, 18" flared vent for this speaker (box size, 4.5 ft3). WinISD says, 4.68 ft3 box with a 4"dia, 13.6 long vent. Why the longer vent? Is the highpass filter in the amp the difference?
The difference is different tuning frequencies for different sized cabinets.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts