Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently started with REW and before I make any changes to the room and speakers, I am still new to this and would like some interpretation from these graphs, mainly from the graph with no smoothing and how it compares to the other graphs.

The added detail at the higher frequencies with no smoothing, does this indicate cancellations from the first reflection? Just trying to understand these graphs more.

This was taken with the UMM-6 pointed up in the sweet spot of the speakers, about 8' back. The reason I'm asking is while the recordings sound good, I feel there is a slight lack in treble despite being a fairly neutral setup. Just a slight drop and it's not my aging ears..:sarcastic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi initially the responses look very good, but look closer and the scaling is wrong please re-post with these settings reading this link http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/934-please-read-posting-graph.html

Generally 1/6th smoothing (pretty much what the ear hears) or 12th smoothing is sufficient. For the bass region (0 - 300hz) it is good to look at No Smoothing but the above is fine as well.

Before you re-post please take a measurement of each speaker Left & Right individually, then combined and re-post with the correct scaling and smoothing.

You can also post the .mdat file.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like I have a different version from the one in the link but I believe the graph is set correctly now. I used main speakers to check levels and record the measurement as I do not have a sub running at the moment.

Edited to add that this was the original measurements, I have not measured each speaker yet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts

The added detail at the higher frequencies with no smoothing, does this indicate cancellations from the first reflection?
Not necessarily first reflections, just reflections in general. It’s scary I know, but fortunately things seldom sound as bad as an unsmoothed graph looks. As Phillips noted, 1/6- or 1/3-octave smoothing is a better visual representation of what things really sound like, at least in the upper frequencies. For subwoofer graphs, unsmoothed is preferable.

This was taken with the UMM-6 pointed up in the sweet spot of the speakers, about 8' back. The reason I'm asking is while the recordings sound good, I feel there is a slight lack in treble despite being a fairly neutral setup.
Your graphs do show a 5-6 dB roll out above 3 kHz that might explain the lack of treble you’re hearing. However, it’s hard to tell definitively from the graph because it was generated with an upright mic. You can ignore all the recommendations you’ve no doubt seen recommending that method; they are wrong. You get the most reliable and accurate high-frequency measurements using a 0-degree calibration file and pointing the mic directly at the signal source.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry if I have misunderstood...is the "0 deg" terminology pointing up or forward? My 0 deg graph is with the mic pointed at the speaker.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the life of me I don't know why the Mic input reverted back to default for the input, I noticed that after reviewing the last mdat upload.

Here we go, everything should be in check now. Thanks for your patience.

This is pointed at the speakers, listening position.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that last graph showed a sharp drop in the treble. Only thing I noticed was that the sub was selected to check levels and not main speakers. There is a gremlin in this laptop I swear.

Took 3 more measurements with another corrected setting and it seems to make a difference.

Sorry guys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts

I have the calibration file from Dayton, not sure of their orientation.
Sorry if I have misunderstood...is the "0 deg" terminology pointing up or forward? My 0 deg graph is with the mic pointed at the speaker.
Yes, 0-degree is for pointing the mic at the sound source. Dayton’s file can be assumed to be 0-degrees, unless it specifies otherwise.

Pretty significant difference above 5 kHz compared to the previous measurement. The graph says things should sound bright, not laid-back as you mentioned in the opening post... :huh:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty significant difference above 5 kHz compared to the previous measurement. The graph says things should sound bright, not laid-back as you mentioned in the opening post... :huh:

Regards,
Wayne
Yes, I agree. I listened again last night and it wasn't bad at all. Could be that I was listening before a few feet back and it just seemed like someone took the last 2 eq sliders (don't have one) and moved them down a notch. Could be the new XLR cables having a few hours on them....who knows. In the sweet spot it's good, back a few feet on the couch things change.

At least I know the system is working and the room acoustics are playing quite a factor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts