Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
...it looks like I have some significant freq cancellation between 70hz - 90hz when the sub and mains are run together.
Sure, this is often the case when you combine mains with good extension and subs. That’s why we separate their operating frequency ranges.

The NHT vt-1.2a mains each have a side firing 8" woofer. So to resolve this, my immediate thought is to adjust the crossover in the UMC-200 and set the mains somewhere between 100-120 with a 24db slope, and set the sub somewhere between 80-100 with a 24db slope. Since I'm performing the EQ'ing and crossover with the UMC-200, and measuring by connecting directly to the amps, I'm not sure if there's a way for me to measure how effective the solution would be. Maybe I can use the multichannel input, although I'll have to read up to see if that input will bypass the internal processing.

Any thoughts on this?
At the risk of sounding “snippy” - perhaps you’re over-analyzing things? Setting up crossovers between subs and mains is usually considerably easier than making a movie. :D Typically you can just set it somewhere between 80-100 Hz and you’re good to go. Only in unusual circumstances are staggered crossover points needed.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
But with a roll off of 24dB, I was concerned the overlap would still be significant enough to cause enough cancellations to create a dip.
Most processors’ crossovers these days use Linkwitz-Riley alignment, which is electronically flat through the crossover region. Acousically is another thing, though, but typically any issues are solved with phase adjustments or EQ, not by staggering the filters.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts