Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
If you're projecting a 16:9 movie onto a 16:9 screen (same as your TV) then the image will fill the screen, as the native ratio for all projectors is 16:9..
If you then project a 2.40:1 movie onto that same screen, you will have black bars top and bottom...again the same as your TV..

However..If the screen is 2.40:1 and the movie is 16:9, then you will have black bars to the sides of the image..
Many people use side masking to cover up the black bars....
If you then project a 2.40:1 image..To fill the screen you would need to zoom the image..if you're not using an anamorphic lens..
You would also need to adjust the position of the image if you zoom, by either lens shift or an internal adjustment in the projector..

This is one of the reasons why people use anamorphic lenses..No zooming is required!
With the click of one button on the remote..you can go from a 16:9 image on the 2.40:1 screen (which will show black bars to the sides of the image) to a full 2.40:1 image filling the screen!

I hope I've explained the clearly enough..

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Yes..the Panasonics are popular because of that facility and it's a good feature to have if you're not going to use an A lens..
I don't know if any image shift is needed when using the preset zoom feature..Tony or other users can help you with that..
I'm not aware of any other projectors with that feature, but there may well be by now..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts