Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
The latest JVCs and Sonys have it (lens memory) now as well.

Yes, other projectors can do it by manually adjusting zoom. I have a JVC RS-20, and when using the blu-ray player as a source, I manually adjust zoom and shift (focus doesn't need adjustment) to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies. However, since I've gotten my HTPC set up, using XBMC, I don't adjust at all - I use the shrink method for 16:9 movies.

·
Registered
591 Posts
>>I'm assuming you have a cinemascope screen?

Sort of. :rofl2: I opted for a 2.125:1 aspect ratio screen, so I could get the level of immersion that I wanted for both cinemascope and non-cinemascope (16:9) movies.

>>On a scale of 1-10 (1 being hardest/biggest pain and 10 being easiest) how much of a pain is it to mess with the zoom, etc, when you watch a movie shot in 2.40:1 and then want to watch 16:9 material on HDTV.

I'd say a 9 (I said 2 at first, but then noticed your scale went in the other direction) - it takes about 15 seconds to adjust the zoom and vertical shift. However, as mentioned before, now I use an HTPC the vast majority of the time, so I don't need to adjust zoom and shift anymore (unless I switch to watching something on the bluray player). I actually don't watch any TV in the theater room, just movies, and gaming once in a while - but 16:9 still applies for those too.

>>Could you also talk about PQ when you zoom for 2.40 material. Just to make sure I'm clear... It's not like going into zoom mode on a plasma (where some of the intended picture is lost or warped to make it fit on a 2.40:1 screen)...

No, nothing like that at all, the original aspect ratio of the movie is always preserved, no stretchy people. The picture quality is great! Not as bright as a plasma set up in "torch mode", but still plenty bright - and the room is extremely dark.

·
Registered
591 Posts
>>What do I look for to make sure that this projector can also display 2.40 material on a scope screen?

To be able to do the zoom method: zoom of greater than 1.3; and powered zoom and shift (unless you shelf mount the projector, and don't mind physically walking over to the projector to adjust).

To be able to do the anamorphic lens method: anamorphic stretch mode (or a separate device to do it); + an anamorphic lens and mount/sled compatible with the projector.

Edit: 8700 UB is manual zoom/focus, so not ideal for zoom method

1 - 3 of 3 Posts