Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so all of this arduous work is performed to calibrate the LFE and we achieve mission accomplished. and what a thing of beauty she is. a hard knee curve flattened out between 20-30hz and running down a fast moving slope before being rolled overboard after 80hz. :T

then you power up the mains and it all goes to hades in a hand basket. my questions, is the calibration of the LFE channel just the beginning to a long journey? is more surgery necessary, after inducting the mains into the equation, on the 20-80hz range? or do we just leave it as is?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Sorry, I missed the fact that that was your thread. I enjoyed following it & seeing your final sub response. A top job!
Have you looked at the graphs with the "normal" 1/3 octave filtering to remove some of the bumps and dips in the response from room efffects.
And did you make any graphs of just the mains?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I missed the fact that that was your thread. I enjoyed following it & seeing your final sub response. A top job!
thanks for the complement. it took hours of trying until i finally realized what the goal was and how to get there.

Have you looked at the graphs with the "normal" 1/3 octave filtering to remove some of the bumps and dips in the response from room efffects.
no, i haven't done that because my perspective is that 1/3 octave filtering is better served when graphing out higher in the spectrum not down below 300hz. primarily i am looking to understand what a 'hard knee curve' subsonic should look like when crossing over 80hz (my crossover point). because i have no reference material, i have no ideal standard to measure against. in other words, i have no clue what my graph is suppose to look like once i bring my mains into the equation.

And did you make any graphs of just the mains?
i have graphed the mains but did not post them. because i can't relocate them in the same manner i can do my dual subs, i see no benefit spending a lot of time trying to get a good room response out of them. all i can do with the mains is move them closer to the television 6' apart or move them away from the television at 8.5' max. i have done both and the response is still ugly. pushing them further away from the listening position and further apart from each other seems to give me the best response.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I haven't played with the 'hard knee curve'
I will leave that for someone else to comment on.
ah come on man. Wayne is MIA today so'ze we'ze all we'ze got! :hide:

:hide:

so u go out there first and check that the coast is clear :hide: an'if you

find trouble just scream my name an i'ma come-ah runnin'

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
:rofl:
OK Coast is clear.

is the calibration of the LFE channel just the beginning to a long journey? is more surgery necessary, after inducting the mains into the equation, on the 20-80hz range? or do we just leave it as is?
I guess this is the start of the rollercoaster ride.
It depends how they sound to you. If you cannot hear a problem then leave it for a while till you are happy they are OK or you feel something is missing.
Or, follow the path of 'thewire' in his GIK pillar trap thread - that's dedication to acheiving top sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts