21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: another css 10" build

YES!!

You can see it in the chart 702.188

I'm using some material from parts express, Sonic Barrier 3/4" 3-Layer Damping Material, do I need to count for it on the air space??

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Rodny, I think you'll be fine at 2.38 cf, but if you can squeeze another inch or something out of the depth you'd have it covered for sure, plus the volume for the damping material. I'm actually using that too (the leftovers from another project, so I didn't have enough to cover the entire inside). I think the general rule is if its open cell foam you don't need to subtract, but if its closed cell you do. Even open cell would eat up a little volume IMO, so I would maybe account for about half of what you are actually using?

·
Registered
267 Posts

I talked to one of the techs at parts express he said not to worry about the foam taking any space.
It is actually the opposite right? Damping material makes the enclosure seem larger to the driver. Note that closed cell foam should not be used for this.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

eyekode, I was thinking the same thing. Although it isn't as free flowing as other materials used to stuff enclosures (ie Polyfill), the open cell must do a little to help. I think its partly to help deaden any resonance or driver/port noise, etc. from echoing inside the box, and partly to help reduce the air speed within the enclosure which gives the driver the perception of a larger box. I believe that for speakers dealing with higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths) it should also help to reduce the effect of standing waves / backwave in the enclosure, but that won't be much of an issue for a sub.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Jeeze, we better watch out, one day Rodny might get this fabrication thing right... :jiggy::rofl:

:yes:

(Kidding, of course - I have no clue how you are able to make those cuts line up. WOW!)

·
Registered
67 Posts

Nice work Rodny!!!

maybe not so complicated 45s but 45s none the less

so is the going to be the red box?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts