Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: another css 10" build

Simply put ,, a work of audio art ! Outstanding craftsmanship. I was wondering what type of fasteners did you use if any because I could not see them. Or did you use glue only ? Also did not no Bondo could be used on wood.

Thx
Lotusman

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

Simply put ,, a work of audio art ! Outstanding craftsmanship. I was wondering what type of fasteners did you use if any because I could not see them. Or did you use glue only ? Also did not no Bondo could be used on wood.

Thx
Lotusman

thanks!

1 1/2 by 1/4" crown staples and wood glue and yes u can use bondo on wood.

:T

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #105

How did you go about doing this Rodny?
It doesn't look like you could have used a a rabbeting bit with the right size bearing since the corner radius is so small.

Talk slow and use small words- I new to this :)
Hey Pete!!

sorry for the delay:bigsmile:

I used 4" wide pieces of wood to make a guide for the trimer and I used a Straight Router bit, you can use double side tape to attach the strips of wood to the box, just like I did on the grill

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Holy !

This is one of the best DIY jobbies I have ever seen.

What a legend, great work.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Excellent work! I love the overall look...the port is awesome, so are the rounded edges. Congratulation on a job well done. I can imagine how great it sounds with that frequency resonse.

I've been thinking about going with a smaller ported sub to replace my sealed 15" sub. When are they comming out with an SDX 12? :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hands down the best piano black finish I have seen on a DIY project. At first I was just going to glance at this thread but your build pictures drew me in and here I am at the end of the thread in awe.

If you can take the time to share the finishing process that would be great. If not, no hard feelings. I probably wouldn't do it, that would make a really long post :)

Nice work.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Rodny, my compliments for this great build..:clap: i wanted to ask you, is the shiny glamorous look more due to the car primer or due to a paint of special sort. Thanx

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Hi Rodny, my compliments for this great build..:clap: i wanted to ask you, is the shiny glamorous look more due to the car primer or due to a paint of special sort. Thanx
everything is important but the clear is what it gives the shiny finish, the more coats of clear you put on it the better

I did four coats and wet sanded and then polished the whole thing.

Thanks!!:T

·
Registered
116 Posts
Beautiful work pal. I only hope my build turns out looking half as nice as this. I want to either do the piano black thing like this or wood laminate. On that hellacious round over bit you have there. Did you use it with the router only, or do you have a router table set up? I want to use an 1 1/4" roundover bit as well, but the description of the one I'm looking at said "Recommended for use with a routing table".

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rodny Alvarez said:
Thank's guys!!!

I used a spray gun, no cans!!

:T
If you don't mind me asking. What paint products did you wind up using ? I paint cars for a living and was just wondering what you found works best for you as I plan on the same finish for a project of mine. Also how big of a roundover bit did you use ?

Thanks Jason.

Ps GREAT JOB!!!!

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
If you don't mind me asking. What paint products did you wind up using ? I paint cars for a living and was just wondering what you found works best for you as I plan on the same finish for a project of mine. Also how big of a roundover bit did you use ?

Thanks Jason.

Ps GREAT JOB!!!!
I used PPG paint just Ford black and Ommni clear by PPG.
Router bit 1 1/4
good luck on your project:T

Beautiful work pal. I only hope my build turns out looking half as nice as this. I want to either do the piano black thing like this or wood laminate. On that hellacious round over bit you have there. Did you use it with the router only, or do you have a router table set up? I want to use an 1 1/4" roundover bit as well, but the description of the one I'm looking at said "Recommended for use with a routing table".

I used my router 1 1/2 hp.
when you turn the router on... hold on it might take off :bigsmile:

Thanks!!

101 - 120 of 133 Posts