Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site, but not completely new to HT.

While I still only live in an Apartment, my living room is my HT/Computer/whatever else room.

I did the typical "recent college student" type install where the speaker cables are run straight across the ceiling to each of the speakers.

My current setup is as follows:

27" Sony Trinitron Flat screen TV
Toshiba DVD player
Yamaha RX-V750

The speakers are a hoge-poge of thrown together bits consisting of some one-off designs and a couple of bookshelf speakers backed up by a 12" sony sub.

While it may look thrown together, the speakers all meld together quite beautifully.

The main speakers were designed by a coworker of mine. They were his last design that he designed and built at the end of a 10 yr job as an audio engineer... needless to say, they're nice.

In the works is a projector, but it'll have to wait till I get a few credit cards paid off. I'm currently looking at the Optima HD70.

I've been learning a lot from this site already, and I hope to be able to add to the conversations whenever I get around to getting a BFD.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Welcome, niget. You can always add to the conversation about what movies and music you've been enjoying lately!

·
Registered
568 Posts
All right! Someone else from Dallas!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Oh no... another Texan? lol... j/k :sarcastic:

Howdy David and welcome to the Shack!

Look forward to seeing you around.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other additions?... hmmm.

Actually, I do have a few things I'm looking at wanting to do. Amps and a new sub would be nice, but my current apartment has thin walls, so the sub would probably **** the neighbors off.

I only sit about 6 feet from the tv and speakers right now anyways, so I don't really need much more volume.

I would like to try bi-amping the main speakers, and I was looking at a Behringer DCX2496. This would actually allow me to bi-amp both the FL and FR AND the Center.

The living room, dining room, and kitchen are laid out in a big L with a pass through window going to the kitchen, so adding room treatments is next to impossible. I haven't done any testing on just the sub yet, but I have all the measurement mics and hardware from building speakers at my last location I lived. I do think running a BFD on the sub will help with some of the boominess I've been experiencing.

Unfortunately this all takes money, and my other hobby is my Harley. That tends to take some of my money too :-/

I have recently started looking into possibly building a new sub. I've built some bookshelves and a center before that sounded pretty good. My current sub is a 150watt 12" sony sub. I also want to build a real entertainment center instead of the stacked bookshelves I'm currently using.

Income tax money is coming soon, so I'm deciding whether to splurge and get the projector, or put a little money into the BFD and dump the rest into the engine on the bike. I'm currently leaning more to the second idea :)

Any more questions... just ask.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, apartment living can be a bummer. I live on five acres and have only one neighbor. Sooo..... I can crank it anytime and not bug them too much.

IMO forget about bi amping at this point. If you want to invest in new amps, thats fine but the whole bi-amping thing is one of those debatable issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts