Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a Sony vpl-hw45es projector and looking to build a new screen for it. Replaced a Optoma HD33. Current screen is a 92”, looking to slightly increase it to 96”. Also, since my current screen I made years ago has been getting more and more wrinkled over time as seen in the picture I plan to create a fixed wooden frame for this one. I had to adjust my iso on my camera to get close to the shade of gray of my current screen. I don’t recall the mix I used, I believe it might have been black widow but it was about six years ago and I don’t have the notes from then.
The projector is in reference eco mode that provides about 830 lumens (bulb is new), about 12ft from the screen in a light controlled room. I have one window covered by a blackout curtain and I have beige walls and white ceiling. I don’t use the projector except for movies and 3D on the weekends. I love the picture on the current screen and see no issues when watching movies, but when calibrating with WOW, even though I can get a perfect brightness setting lowering from 50 to 31, my contrast at max doesn’t come very close to the contrast standard on the disc.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I got everything and sprayed…of course I forgot since it’s been some time I researched this and didn’t write a reminder for myself that you can’t just spray BOC. You need the first coat to be rolled or you get fibers that will stick out. Which is exactly what happened and I waisted all my paint thinking it just needed more coats 🤦‍♂️. Also, note to self…bad idea to paint on the floor when you have dogs. You’d be amazed at how many dog hairs are attracted to the screen. SO, now I have to pay another 40 bucks to buy the base paint and liquitex to redo this, but I do feel better that it wasn’t my horrible painting skills! Also, trying to find straight pine boards is tougher than you would think. Below is an itemized breakdown of the cost of everything which is much more expensive than these forums lead you to believe and thought this would help people actually visualize the expected cost based on what you plan to do and what tools you might already have. Granted I didn’t have to do elektra that increases the price by about 20 for having to buy a quart of tinted N6 paint, or buy a spray gun as opposed to rolling that cost 40 bucks.

Cost:
1. Paint Total: $60.96
a) Behr 1050 (tinted to N6) quart: $15.98
Tint: oz. 348 oz.
B - 1 6
C - 0 79
F - 0 22
b) Valspar Signature UW Flat quart: $19.98
Mag tint: 115 - 0.67 means .67 of 1/48th of an ounce of Magenta
c) Liquitex Basics Silver 8oz (16oz) - $12.49 x 2 = $25

2. BOC: Joanne’s (48”x108”: sold by yards): $22

3. Wood: 4x 1x4x8 “quality pine” at Menards: $5.49 ea = $21.98

4. Brackets: $7.32

Total: $112.26

B. Optional:

1. Paint gun: $40

2. Hole pocket jig (came with screws): $35

3. Felt tape (2”x30’): $19.70

4. Plastic drapes: $14

Optional Total: $109.70

TOTAL: 220.96

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well I’m finally done. Honestly didn’t go as well as hoped and on the fence whether it’s worth the trouble and cost to do diy as opposed to just buying a screen. The painting didn’t go on anywhere as smooth as when I painted the roll down screen seen in the pic in the first post. I think if I were to re do this, I would buy a cheap eBay screen and paint that as opposed to using Joanne’s BOC. The BOC is much more like a regular sheet that made it much more difficult to get a smooth coat on but also is very easy for it to contour and show imprints from the frame. You can see it up close in the pics though not something I notice when watching.
I should note that I wasn’t really thinking when adding the N6 gray and only out half of what I intended to make 8.5, so it might as well just be C&S. Only thing I do for sure like better is it does look cleaner than a roll down setup and I don’t have those monstrous wrinkles/waves as the pull down setup had. Overall it came out ok, but it’s not a cost affective means to trial and error. Pics below for reference. I do have ambient light in the room and this was mid-day, but dark enough. It does do really well in light, which surprised me for how white the screen is.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics of screen part 1 of 2. You can see all the paint imperfections, but when watching I can’t see it at all…at least I’m not trying to find them necessarily either.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts