Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Another newbie sacrifice for the AV gods

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sonnie 
G
#1 ·
Movies and cinema are my first love but it's taken me 30+ years to upgrade from a simple TV to something a bit better. This is my first step into the world of home cinema and my equipment has only been purchased over the last 3 months, so I've still got a lot of setting up, tweaking and learning to do (subwoofer installation looks fun :laugh: and I'm still installing speaker cable under the carpet, not my favourite job).

Having no real actual 'reference point' for equipment etc, I purchased budget/beginner equipment (based on forums and reviews beforehand), since I've got to start somewhere, right :) and I was on a budget!

There is too much information available at times. It seems that the more I read the less I know and the more I become confused :R

Thanks for reading.

#3 ·
Welcome Keith from a fellow Brit, you've found the right place.
From what I remember British magazines are not afraid to do a group test, and also put together components at different budget levels that helps with making sure that their is synergy between different components - this gives you a head start. My first system was based around the first generation KEF 'eggs' and still sounds great (when I can get my receiver to work).
I'm getting ready to watch the real football World Cup - all the games are in high def here, your welcome to come over if you can get a dozen pork pies past the US customs guys. As an aside I flew into Philadelphia from Frankfurt a few months ago, they had the sniffer dog out - he found a few sausages:laugh:

#4 ·
Hey Keith and welcome to the Shack!

There is a host of info available on about everything you can imagine... including many many things outside of home theater. I've been confused my share of times on deciding which amp to get, which speakers to get, etc. Sometimes you just wanna go ugggghhhh, and throw you hands up. Although the research seems to be one of the more fun parts of the buying experience to me. I don't consider many of my purchases since I started in 1984 a mistake because I learned something from nearly every purchase. Not sure if what I learned was necessarily as valuable as what it cost me to learn it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.