Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll I've been on here benefiting from reading these threads, and learning from everyone else's experiences. Time to actually post a thread.

I finally decided to get REW going and took several measurements. The graph below (no smoothing - should I be using smoothing?), is the best measurement that I've managed to get to date. Does this seem like a reasonable graph? Any thoughts that you might have for me to try to optimize my set-up would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a BFD yet but will look at getting one in the future.

Here's some info of what I've done to date:

- I have two SVS PB-10's (1 ISD that I picked up used and 1 NSD that I got with the 7 channel system), both subs are placed together in the front right corner of the room.
- My room is 16Wx20Lx8H.
- Cross-over is set at 80Hz
- All measurements are sub and mains
- I've also tried various phasing adjustments on both subs and have tried moving one of the subs to the 1/3 point in on the front right, again with various phasing settings.
- I'd like to try some other locations but will have to wait until I can order some more cable from Monoprice
- I've calibrated by Creative external USB and used the cal files from these threads for my RS SPL

July 14 - final.GIF

Thanks for taking a look. Any thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
86 Posts
We'll I've been on here benefiting from reading these threads, and learning from everyone else's experiences. Time to actually post a thread.

I finally decided to get REW going and took several measurements. The graph below (no smoothing - should I be using smoothing?), is the best measurement that I've managed to get to date. Does this seem like a reasonable graph? Any thoughts that you might have for me to try to optimize my set-up would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a BFD yet but will look at getting one in the future.

Here's some info of what I've done to date:

- I have two SVS PB-10's (1 ISD that I picked up used and 1 NSD that I got with the 7 channel system), both subs are placed together in the front right corner of the room.
- My room is 16Wx20Lx8H.
- Cross-over is set at 80Hz
- All measurements are sub and mains
- I've also tried various phasing adjustments on both subs and have tried moving one of the subs to the 1/3 point in on the front right, again with various phasing settings.
- I'd like to try some other locations but will have to wait until I can order some more cable from Monoprice
- I've calibrated by Creative external USB and used the cal files from these threads for my RS SPL

View attachment 14953

Thanks for taking a look. Any thoughts are appreciated
Nice extension for two 10" sub in a decent size room:) Since you got REW working, I would measure each sub separately to see how each of them is doing. Also, measure them separately in different locations...then running them together. It looks like you can use the FBD to help you tame some peaks...

Al,

Edit: you shouldn't use smoothing for sub :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. A couple of dumb questions:
- Is there a way to get sub only through the REW set-up?
- When I'm trying each sub individually do I worry about phasing or only use phasing when more than one sub or mains are powered?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
- Is there a way to get sub only through the REW set-up?
Yes, you simply disconnect your mains speakers (with the power off, of course).
The other surrounds and center don't require disconnecting, since you will be in stereo only mode when using REW.

- When I'm trying each sub individually do I worry about phasing or only use phasing when more than one sub or mains are powered?
Phasing is only important when more than one speaker (sub or mains) is playing.

brucek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bruce K. I thought I should just disconnect, but it seemed too simple.

Will trying each sub individually in different locations give me the right picture given that with both powered there will be cancellation or am I overcomplicating this/

Bruce

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Will trying each sub individually in different locations give me the right picture given that with both powered there will be cancellation or am I overcomplicating this
No, you're not over-complicating it. It's quite difficult to get two subs that aren't co-located to render a smooth response. Some may disagree, but it's only because they've been lucky. Usually, it's quite difficult. You not only have to get the two subs to play nice together, you have to get them to both agree with the mains when they're turned on.

The only easy way is to co-locate them. Use one sub to find the best location, and add the other in the same spot.

brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts