Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post!

I've been reading a lot through this forum, and am looking for some hopefully simple answers.

I am about to buy an UMIK-1, as it seems to be the easiest solution. I have a laptop with HDMI out, and would like to eq my room for each of my 7 channels and my subwoofer.

Is the UMIK-1 all I need?

I've been reading the minidsp guides, and I see auto-eq is possible with their hardware. Can i auto-eq using only umik-1 and REW, not having to buy any additional hardware?

I get the house curves for subs, are there house curves for l/r/c/sl/sr/sbl/sbr channels as well? Will REW spit out suggested EQ values I need to enter into my Sherbourn PT-7020 manual EQ? How will I know if my sub is out of phase with my mains?

I'm so overwhelmed... Once I figure this stuff out, I will be in Audio heaven. Right now, I'm terrified :( All I need is EQ values for my Preamp, can REW get me there with just a mic?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Yes, the mic is all you need for measurement. There are some good guides to setting up the UMIK and HDMI on the MiniDSP site, this one covers auto-EQ (aimed at a MiniDSP equaliser but the process is the same for other supported equalisers) and here is the setup guide for Windows (there is another one for Mac).

Less clear is whether the Generic equaliser setting would be right for whatever EQ filters the Sherbourn offers. An alternative is to set up REW to generate its "Pink PN" test signal and use the RTA to watch the response change as you adjust the EQ filters. For that best to use the RTA settings below:
Text Font Line Number Design

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I don't get... I've read the auto-eq guide, but does REW require a 2x4 or similar to do auto eq, or does it give suggestions itself based on it's measurements? The mini dsp guide seems to point to more hardware...

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
JohnM said:
<<<<<SNIP>>>>An alternative is to set up REW to generate its "Pink PN" test signal and use the RTA to watch the response change as you adjust the EQ filters. For that best to use the RTA settings below:

The above, is sage advice from John .

ie ; Buy a UMIK-1 mic from either CSL or miniDSP / & then use the REW's RTA window to EQ your system ( as best as you can ) .

From what I saw ( in a quick glance of the specs for your AVR ) you'll be limited to applying EQ to similar ( paired ) speakers ( not really a bad thing, IMHO ) .

Following Johns advice will also give you some understanding of the limitations of EQ .

For instance, currently ( it seems to me that ) you have un-realistic expectations about what EQ can ( or cannot ) achieve .

( IMO ), most around here are better off getting a new receiver that incorporates the "latest-greatest" auto-EQ circuitry from Audyssey ( MultEQ XT32 ) & living with its choices for a while . Those choices ( made by Pros on your behalf ) usually need some tweaking . It's living through that process ( to get to the point of thinking "what would I change" ) that is a fundamental realization ( one should acquire ) before striking out on ones own ( & using REW's auto-EQ module ) .

:sn:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
This is what I don't get... I've read the auto-eq guide, but does REW require a 2x4 or similar to do auto eq, or does it give suggestions itself based on it's measurements? The mini dsp guide seems to point to more hardware...
No 3rd party hardware need be owned ( apart from a test-mic setup & your computer ) to allow REW to calculate the necessary correction filters ( after running the auto-EQ routine on a capture/measurement that you acquired from testing a speaker ) .

REW will give EQ suggestions to you ( once you have properly setup REW to do so & then have run the autoEQ routine ) .

The REW EQ module does have various levels of integration with a few manufacturers hardware products ( Behringer & miniDSP are 2 examples ) .
- The resulting filters ( from an auto-EQ session ) can be transferred into ( & therefore utilized ) by these products ( via various methods , midi being one such transfer method ) .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RTA... Real time analyzer? That's a great idea. Pink PN, would that be useful for a sub? I'd love to eq my sub real time. Is there a way to tell if my sub is out of phase with my mains (Revel F12's)? What would I look for in a measurement to indicate phase problems?

Thanks for the great advice.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
RTA... Real time analyzer? That's a great idea. Pink PN, would that be useful for a sub? I'd love to eq my sub real time. Is there a way to tell if my sub is out of phase with my mains (Revel F12's)? What would I look for in a measurement to indicate phase problems?

Thanks for the great advice.

If your subs are out-of-phase with your mains ( at their mutual area of crossover/frequency overlap ) , you'll see a big dip ( hole ) in the frequency response .

Confusingly ( for these test purposes ) , room acoustics can produce a very similar looking hole .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts