Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back on August 19, 2013 I wrote that my Onkyo 706 had bit the dust. I contacted Onkyo repair and was advised that the unit was no longer repairable(unavailability of parts). I inquired as to what the repair cost would be to repair my 809 if the HDMI board failed. I was quoted between $300 and $400 . OUCH! They do have a trade in plan whereby they will accept your defective unit as a trade in for a discounted refurbished one. Well guess what. Last night the 809 quit. It is in a cabinet but has 8 inches of space above it , an open back and a fan sitting on top of the unit with a thermistor regulating fan speed. I have been a loyal Onkyo fan for years and years but I think that it is time to give'm up.
I paid $749.00 for the 809 and want to buy something in that price range, on sale if possible. What would my fellow readers suggest for a comparable unit in power and configuration?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the failure, Just a note on the cabinet, you say the front is closed? That's not going to help with airflow fan or not it has no place to get cool air from if the front is closed. Heat is the number one reason for failure and it won't matter what brand of receiver you get (HDMI board failures are common in every brand of receiver not just Onkyo) you need to address the issue if you don't want it to happen again.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Onkyo - I personally have two and have not had any issues with either. That said, if you are looking to change brands, I also have a Denon 4520 and really have been impressed with it. Of course, I had to send back the first one of those I got due to a faulty HDMI board so it is not just Onkyo that has issues...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Like the others have said sorry to hear about the failure of your Onkyo. As Tony said I believe unobstructed air flow is very important regardless of brand. I've had zero problems with my Onkyo tx-nr809 but it gets plenty of breathing room.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Sorry to hear about your gear,as far as something in your budget I think you may be able to find a denon 3313ci
For 799.00 or less.Heat will be a factor with any manufacturer though, would it be possible to remove the door,or hinge it in a way that it's open when the unit is on? And maybe add another fan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cabinet housing the receiver does not have a front or a door, did not mean to give that impression. It housed my Onkyo 804 for years with no problem. I guess that is part of my frustration. In addition to being open , front and back, I placed a cooling fan on top of the unit and still lost it, I think. I did a reset and the receiver began to pass thru both audio and video. I let it play for a few hours and now it is only allowing video to be seen, no sound.

I had my heart set on purchasing a 70 inch T.V. , not another receiver. Benbo

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It still sounds like a heat problem, 8" is not much considering you live in a hot climat I would not have it in any sort of cabinet. What is under it, just a shelf or another piece of gear?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Onkyo. A month ago the HDMI board went out on my 808. Factory service wanted $90 just to diagnose and told me average price of repair was $250.00.

I found a service on eBay that will repair the board for $75.00. I sent it off and they replaced the bad chip by cutting the leads and installing a daughter board, connecting to the main board with jumper wires. I've been soldering components for 50 years and can recognize good work; they did a great job with the repair.

I popped the board back in and the 808 worked great. Sadly, last Saturday, I had another failure. I contacted the shop that did the repair and it was covered by their 30 warranty. I'm sending it back.

I'm beginning to think it is a heat related failure. The 808 sits on a shelf in a rack enclosure. The front of the rack is in my dedicated home theater and the back is in an 8x10 storage room that is climate controlled. There is plenty of space above the AVR for good air flow.

The reason I think it is heat related is because both failures have followed audio heavy action movies, "Close Encounters", then "Star Trek - Into Darkness" Friday night. We don't listen excessively loud, usually -15db for action movies. By happenstance, I actually stepped into the storage room immediately after viewing "Star Trek". Since I knew the 808 had a workout, I put my hand on top of the unit and it was warm, but not hot. Still, given the reputation, I think it might be heat.

Even if they can repair the board again, I'm not optimistic regarding the long run. I don't want to be in the AVR market again. Right now I'm looking hard at the Marantz SR5008.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great feedback from everybody. Learning a lot about heat and air flow. Seems to me some receivers just run hotter than others.
I would seriously consider a Yamaha Aventage.
Or maybe a Yamaha 675.
U can really beat the out of Yamaha receivers. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 809 sits in a entertainment cabinet that has one shelf above, with 8 inches of space. On that shelf sits the Direct TV receiver, which has a cooling fan sitting on it's top. There is 6 inches of space above the Direct TV receiver with a top shelf on which sits a 55 inch Sony flat screen. With the space between receivers and shelves, plus the cooling fans I would have thought that I had adequate ventilation. However, the unit failed. My home is air conditioned so climate has little bearing upon room temperature.

I am strongly considering a refurbished Onkyo 809, if available, or bigger receiver from accesories4less. I will await Santa in the brown truck within a week or so.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Another frustration with things like failure rates and trying to purchase based on comments like "my ________ has been bulletproof" is the fact that manufacturers can swing back and forth from a stellar product at amazing value to a kind of lemon unit from model year to model year. Even worse, sometimes there's a big difference in the same lines between the model numbers, and some just perform extremely well while others don't. I wouldn't write off Onkyo for this, as they still seem to be one of the top producers. Check out the reviews and threads for any specific unit you're interested in, and you're likely to get an idea if it has been problematic or spectacular. (and even then there are the odd anomalies).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sadly, last Saturday, I had another failure. I contacted the shop that did the repair and it was covered by their 30 warranty. I'm sending it back.
Well, I have good but potentially embarrassing news. Last night I went to pull the board to return it. I decided to give it one last try. I unplugged the 808 and waited 30 seconds. I plugged it back in and stepped around to the home theater to try it. I turned on the projector and noticed it showed the wrong input. I turned on the receiver and changed the projector input to HDMI and lo and behold, everything worked!

The only thing I can think of is that I inadvertently changed the source when shutting down the night before, something that has never happened.

I will give it another try tonight and if all is well, I'll contact daveselectronics and tell him about my stupidity and let him know all is well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received a INTERNET ad today from a audio retailer advertising the Onkyo 717 for $549, including free shipping. I had considered replacing the 809 with another 809. Would I be dropping that much, if any, in performance by going for the 717 instead of picking up another 809? If I can't locate a 809 I found a 818 for $750. Any thoughts on which I should pick?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I received a INTERNET ad today from a audio retailer advertising the Onkyo 717 for $549, including free shipping. I had considered replacing the 809 with another 809. Would I be dropping that much, if any, in performance by going for the 717 instead of picking up another 809? If I can't locate a 809 I found a 818 for $750. Any thoughts on which I should pick?
If you can afford it I would get the 818. I own the 809 and am completely satisfied with it but I would love to have XT 32.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a diligent search I found my receipt with a purchase date of 1/11/12,for my Onkyo 809. Upon reading the Onkyo site I thought that I saw receivers warranted for two years from date of purchase, if from an authorized dealer. I am OK on the dealer part, which means my repairs may be covered, right?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It would seem so, unless you bought a refurb or B stock unit.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That is good news - glad to hear it was something minor. We have all had those :doh: moments - yours truly has probably had enough for two people... ;)
Well, it turns out I'm not so stupid after all. I started to have intermittent problems, and two nights ago the unit was DOA, no audio. I tried everything, including a reset. It's hardware.

I'm contacting daveselectronics to see if he'll honor the warranty. If not, I might throw in the towel.

In the meantime, I pulled my venerable NAD T-762 out of storage. It fired right up. I've ordered a new HDMI switch box to replace a cheap Monoprice unit I used in the past. I also ordered a S-Video to HDMI convertor so I can see the NAD menu on the projector.

I'm giving up 7.1 (back to 5.1), lossless audio and Audyssey. They all did offer and improvement, but I'll be fine without them.

I'll take a sabbatical and decide later about replacing with a new unit. I'm leaning towards Marantz, but I'm just bummed by the idea all AVR's have the HDMI board failure problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had two Onkyo AVRs. Both of them had the HDMI board failed. I switched to Pioneer SC-1522-K and never looked back. I'm very happy with the Pioneer, and it runs cool all the time, it doesn't matter for how long I've been using it. I got it on sale at Costco for $600 bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Benbo here again. After much discussion with the misses I was given the go ahead on a new receiver while my 809 is at the repair center. I sort of narrowed it down to two receivers, I think, the Onkyo 818 and the Yamaha RX-A1020. I can get the yamaha for $799. I know the Yamaha is a little less powerful and lacks wireless connection. I have been going back and forth because I am a Onkyo fan and have been for years. I see that the Yamaha RX A1030 is now out and there may be a price drop on the 1020 shortly. What do I do? What do I do?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts