Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys - Trying this for the first time. I think I did everything right... but looking for feedback.

As you can see, sub is an ED A5-350. REW recommended 1 filter for the BFD (-9 at 46 Hz). After adjusting it - looks like no more peaks... but I have a pretty big valley at 37-38 hz. I had planned on adding more room treatments... would that help? Or do I need another sub? :)

Three Q's:
1) feedback and recommendations on the chart?
2) next step to add my mains and work on balancing the crossovers/phase?
3) how do I stop the BFD filter lights from flashing on the main panel? 1L is solid (as expected) but 5-12 are flashing...

Thanks to all those that worked so hard to make this easy for us!

<edit: I should add that I'm adjusting the BFD manually (not via midi port)>

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I had planned on adding more room treatments... would that help? Or do I need another sub?
I would look to moving the position of the sub before I tried anything else. Treatment isn't effective down that low, and a second sub is a bit tricky to pull off.

Once you wholesale increase the gain of your sub, you'll see that the bottom graph will still result in a raised hump between 40 and 80Hz. Maybe add a few more filters for that.

Also try moving the sub a bit. Sometimes just rotating it helps.

brucek

·
Registered
117 Posts
The nulls (Valleys) are the hardest part to treat, because they are usually from the room. When you raise the response via EQ for a certain area, you are actually lowering the response everywhere else in the spectrum, hence lowering your output.

Like Bruce said, I would do everything I could by moving the sub around, aiming it differently, etc., to try and ameliorate that valley as much as possible. Worry about the peaks after.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback. I will retest tomorrow... After rereading many more threads, I'm afraid I can't remember if I loaded the SPL calibration file... I'm using the old Radio Shack (I realize it has limitations but figured I'd play with it first before spending more money).

I will also play around with the sub orientation. Unfortunately, there aren't many options for relocating the sub - my front screen comes down too low to put it up front so I have it on the side wall.

Also, did a lot of reading tonight on house curves and will probably play around with this some tomorrow. Thanks for all the great reading!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
With the sub in that position, producing that response, I'm afraid you're not a good candidate for any house curve. You'll be doing well to simply get it to hug the standard target.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

1) feedback and recommendations on the chart?
Seems pretty peculiar that a DIY sub would be dead in the water above 40 Hz? If you don't find a problem with the SPL meter calibration, it looks like there's something on or near that side wall that's messing things up - a stairwell? Hallway openings? I'd try a corner, if you have one available, one with uninterrupted lengths of wall going in both directions.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
117 Posts
How are you measuring this? At the seating? If so, I would like to see a nearfield measurement of the sub to see how much is the location. Also, some measurements at other spots in the room also.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all measurements are taken where I sit. As expected, I made a mistake and didn't load the RS cal file :(

I took measurements at all viable locations, here are the results files. In your assessments, which works best? I think the Original is still ideal - I have 1 bad null at 37Hz but otherwise I'm above the rest of the spectrum (pull down the 1 peak around 45 hz and I can make a house curve). Most of the others drop off around 60 Hz (measurements are sub only - no speakers).

Once i determine the best location, then I'll work on the rest :)

Thanks for your help - you guys rock! :clap:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm... I guess I don't understand this or I did something wrong... maybe you guys can explain it to me.

I figured I'd play around with a house curve to learn about it. Here is the graph after I go through the full process. I would expect a wide and deep filter around 49 Hz... but there is nothing. It tries to fix the small peaks - but leaves the big one alone.

Why? or more likely... what did I do wrong?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a second test after adjusting the filters the first time... and then it added that peak. Here's my resultant chart. Initial listening sounds really good - but I'll need to listen for a bit to decide if I really like it. Anybody see any issues with this? To me (very uneducated on this) - it looks pretty good. I have a total of 3 filters being used. Should I do one more test to get rid of the little peak around 50?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts