Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read a lot about this unit, my expectations are "aligned".

Here's the story;

Samsung HL-R5067WAX/WAA (Dec/05)

Lamp failed.

I replaced my lamp (BP96-01073A(P) and color wheel with Samsung OEM replacement parts. Picture was perfect for an hour then 'scrambled' and is replaced by green / purple rectangles on a back grid.

Once cooled, its starts normally until fully warmed up, then picture degrades and disappears entirely again. Unfortunately this is now only a few minutes, so not exactly a satisfying multimedia experience. Essentially the image breaks into multiple images - not unlike the rolling of old CRT screens with bad vertical alignment -until it is all horizontal lines. Cycling the power at this point results in a colored grid with no image at all. :gah:

No error codes from the front panel lights. The fan adjacent to the lamp is operating.

I assume, since I get a picture that all my connections are correct. I am connecting the A/V amp through the component jacks.

Thanks in advance. Excellent forum you have here.:T

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
i think its a digital board issue. it seams like most of these tv's of this model have issues with the digital board about 2 and a half years to 3 years from when they were bought. I didn't order the digital board for mine yet. I am afraid i will spend 188 dollars for a board and then have it go out again in 2 and 1/2 years to 3 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I saw your posts on this issue and have no basis from which to dispute your thoughts. I do wonder why the DM board went out at the same time as the lamp (other than perfect execution from the Obsolescence Dept.)?

Are all the issues with this board attributable to the DNIe chip, or can it be any one of the many connections on that 'baked' board?

The economy being what it is, I might actually pony up $188 to resuscitate my $2500 TV for another 2-3 yrs, IF I was sure that was the problem. I sure can't get a new tv for two bills. But my fear is putting another couple of hundred into a screen I still can't watch.

Where is this part available? Is it plug 'n' play?

·
Registered
730 Posts
not all of them. but the board is known to have issues. also you could of received a bad dmd board. just an fyi make sure the fan is spinning on the dmd board. that heatsink is hooked to an lcd that makes the video show up on your screen.

·
Registered
730 Posts
no soldering at all. wires just unhook and plug back in. now with the dmd board you have to move it around when it's not all tight to ajust were it falls on the screen before you finish tighting them. make sure you dont have a black border on any of the sides. if it still doesn't seam to be center but reaches all sides you can ajust the screen in the service menu by having the tv turned off and pressing mute and a few other buttons before pressing power. I am sure you can find it in the forum. I just did it the other day and can't remember what to press off hand.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Just to be clear, the DMD board is on the light engine. The digital board is in the electrical chassis with the analog board. They are not the same.

When replacing Samsung boards, verify the proper board number with samsung before ordering. They can be tricky to get right. Lots of changes in part numbers and vendors may not have the right info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just to be clear, the DMD board is on the light engine. The digital board is in the electrical chassis with the analog board. They are not the same.

When replacing Samsung boards, verify the proper board number with samsung before ordering. They can be tricky to get right. Lots of changes in part numbers and vendors may not have the right info.
Thanks for that. I do NOT want to buy any extra parts! How would I verify the p/n? Looking at the exisiting part? I have found Samsung tech support ends at "cycle the power a few times".

Did you have success with the board you were changing out?

Edit; I perused the selection at Discount Merchant and found two digital boards ~ P/N: BN41-00237A and P/N: AA41-01098B (aka BP94-01858A) each about $70. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
you are better off takeing the back off the tv. on the left hand side of the tv on the metal case that goes over the RF jacks you should see a sticker with a part number. mine reads BP94-02084A, but you need to make sure your part number is the same. the lowest cost i found for it was $188. plus a 50 dollar core charge and it's on back order. other places wanted $237. $269. $399. they all wanted the core charge so they can refurbish the old boards. https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=6492807

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interestingly, Encompass lists the varying parts as equivalents, albeit with $70 price differences. Similar parts at D-M are $100 less, but of course no-one actually has stock. Welcome to the netherworld of the electronics junkyard, I guess. "sigh"

·
Registered
730 Posts
if you go to samsungparts.com they want 235 dollars and encompass wants $188. I wish i could find the board for 70 dollars i would buy it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose you can advertise any price you like when it's hypothetical. D-M lists some Samsung digital boards for $25 - but they don't actually have the parts!

·
Registered
730 Posts
that happens. the reason why this board is higher is it's normaly on back order. i guess samsung is still making them or refurbishing them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that happens. the reason why this board is higher is it's normaly on back order. i guess samsung is still making them or refurbishing them.

Its highly doubtful they are making them. One of the the reasons these things turn to junk so fast is a product cycle so short that there is only ever one production run. Ship everything and whatever doesn't come back under warranty is profit. Major problems? That's what new and improved is all about!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Its highly doubtful they are making them. One of the the reasons these things turn to junk so fast is a product cycle so short that there is only ever one production run. Ship everything and whatever doesn't come back under warranty is profit. Major problems? That's what new and improved is all about!
With all the same issues with this TV’s model number braking down in 2 and half years to 3 years just shows poor design or flawed design. It makes me want to stay away from Samsung. I am like shouldn't they have a recall on them. I am guessing the only way they would have a recall is if the TV’s were catching fire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you read around a bit there seem to be a drove of problems just like this with other manufacturers as well. Its hard to say if any one brand is really any worse than any other. I think they are all in a race to the bottom.

I would say, "Kill your TV!", but Samsung has beaten me to the punch. :thud:

On the other hand I have never had a CRT or LCD die on me, so maybe next time around that is the way to go.

Meanwhile, does anyone think that my screen firing up and delivering a perfect picture for a few minutes before going to h*ck could be anything BUT the digital board?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is very difficult to say, but it would be a good guess. I have not been able to experiment with putting pressure on the chip as has been suggested, but will try it before I change the digital board in mine. Too busy fixing other sets and a design project.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Following up here - I received my digital board from Samsung parts yesterday and swapped it out this morning in an hour or so.

Several cables were glued around their brackets (for what good reason I couldn't say) making dis-assembly tedious. But it all went back in OK and the set fired backup without requiring any adjustments. It has run happily for a few hours, so we'll see if this repair is final.

:ponder:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The glue is to keep them connected during shipping mostly. I have never had one come apart after the glue was removed to take the board out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts