Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Another subwoofer GTG, Southern Style

20K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Ricci 
#1 · (Edited)
The Great Southern Sub Shootout​
Official Date Saturday April 18th, 2009

If you want to attend be sure to post in this forum thread and I'll send you a PM with location info.​

Drivers/ Subwoofers confirmed

ED 190v2 18 in a large ported cab tuned to 15hz (Brandonnash)
Shiva X 12 in a 6.5 cu ft 18hz tuned ported cab and possibly a ED A7S-450 (mjg100)
LMS 18 sealed (Ricci)
XXX 18 sealed (Ricci)
Audiopulse Epic 12" possibly X 2 (Robertcharles)
John J. from AE is likely sending something. TD18+H, AV15, or AV12 with PR's, not sure yet.
Outlaw LFM-1 (Kip)
WorxAudio Technologies TL.118SS or another nice pro sub (KyleLee)
Bic H100 (Villi)
JL 13W7 (Carl Kennedy from JL Audio)
Amplifiers confirmed

EP2500 ( Brandonnash)
CE4000 (Ricci)
Crest 8002 (Ricci)
ITECH 8000 (Robertcharles)
Receiver: HK AVR-247 (Kip)

Hey guys, After reading all about the WI sub shootout and regretting not being able to make the 10 or so hour drive up there I've did some thinking that maybe us southerners could throw something together. If there's enough interest we'll set a good date. I'm thinking a Saturday in April. Nothing concrete yet. Have been working on a straight home theater meet for a while, but interest there is lacking. Just sent out pm's to all that were interested to see if they still want to come down Murfreesboro's way.

My setup right now is nothing spectacular. ED 19Ov.2 in a ~12.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to 15 hz. Powered as of tomorrow with an EP2500. Athena bookshelves and Pioneer receiver. 55" Mitsubishi HD RPTV.

The room is a game room/media room. Roughly 22'X22' with carpet over concrete floor. For outside measurement (depending on weather) have a larger back yard that could probably be used for good raw data without room gain.

Spoke with Ricci on PM and he's more than likely up for it with some of his drivers, amps and measurement equipment when we get a date.

I'm located in Murfreesboro, TN just outside of Nashville. Good central southern location for anyone wanting to make the drive. Only ~2.5 hours from Atlanta and 40 minutes from Nashville.

I'm new to the whole "meet" thing, so any input would be appreciated. I would like to limit the amount of subs/attendees ONLY because from reading posts on Warpdrv's GTG thread it seems that there was so much woofage that it was hard to get a good feel observation of everything there.

Oh, one more thing, I'm also a big BBQ buff, so I would imagine I'll have to make some good pulled pork for the day too. I've received high praise for my Q so I'll see what I can do to get everyone fed too.

Brandon

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
I'm interested, but with school - it'd have to be on the weekend. I'm in Chattanooga, so not a far drive. I'm not sure if I'd have anything to show - depending on the time, a smalled 3 ft^3 sealed box with 2 Mach5 MAW15's on an LT circuit. That's only if I can get the second MAW in time. For now I just have one.
That sub would fit nicely. If you want to be put on the list it's April 18th. Chat town is not too far away at all. Just let me know.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Any ideas for good demo material? I'm guessing the best way to go is a good mix of stuff. Some heavy bass movies and some music. I think acoustic bass would probably be one of the best way of evaluating these for SQ. Wanting to make a dvd with around 30 minutes-1 hour so we have plenty of time to listen to each sub.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I will have a gain booster by then. Just haven't got around to order one yet. Ricci is also bringing his rane and it has gain boost. You will be good to go with the itech.

Looks like I will remove the tentative from your attending. Looking forward to that amp. A little worried about my home power supply though. Hope I have enough current to run that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I will have to check the voltage on it. I know zero about home electrical so I am just assuming but I would guess the washer and dryer would be on the beefiest breaker. It is close enough to the room that we could use it if needed.

I am going to try to get REW to work this weekend so we can have two setups at once if needed. Only messed with it a few minutes in the past and had no luck. Hopefully getting it to work. I am only using a SPL meter as the microphone. That should work right? I know its not the most ideal setup but I don't want to blow a couple hundred on a mic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Getting closer. Less than a month away and we are close to being full on subwoofers. It will be a lot of talk and setup discussion from here on out.

I am literally amazed at the amount of people that want to attend this. At first I thought it would just be neighboring cities, but we have people coming so far from 4 states and possibly a fifth and subs being shipped from as far away as California.

Will update the list here shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Subwoofer and amp list updated. Several great subs and huge amps to be in attendance. I would still like to see another commercially made sub or two. I would really like a big EPIK or SVS sub to compare to. If anyone has one and are willing to transport let me know before we're all full up.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
To stir up a bit of possible excitement, there's word that Danley Sound Labs may bring a few subs up for the meet. More info when it comes along and things get set up a bit more concrete.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I am getting a bit concerned about the structural integrity of my house.

The danley thing is still just a possibility, but its looking more to the possitive. Just spoke with Ivan today and he said the owner, mike, would like him to bring a dts20 along. Told him anything would be good.

Ricci I will get with you to discuss things a bit more thoroughly in the next day or two. We should probably get on the phone over the weekend and we can get more together that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I am with you on there maybe being too many subs. I told Ivan to bring as many as he wants, but that we may not have time for all of them. If we can get this on a time schedule that fits everything in and actually abide by it we will have a better shot at a cleaner running show.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I was wanting to have a backup if we needed and also to have a better range of crossover points. My receiver is very functional, but its old. It only has s video switching to give you an idea of the age. It still sounds decent, but I need a better receiver. We can absolutely use mine, its just not as good as most newer receivers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Thanks again ricci for the great notes and reviews. I will post a link to the pics when I get home today for everyone to see.

Also ricci, the demo DVD got in the mail today. Be looking for it. Let me know how that xxx in your huge enlosure does with the THX track.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Ivan made a very good point with this sub as an example. You can say "my sub can do 10 hz" but at what spl? Even though the TH50 started rolling off early, it was still able to shake the room with a louder 16 hz tone that the rest of the subs there. My sub got the lowest extension out of the lot on a measurement, but after hearing some of the other subs there I can tell you I want another sub in my room, even though my sub can get low.

The TH50 took me back to my previous car audio days. Imagine 130 dB in a booming car. That's roughly 100-150 cubic feet. Imagine that same level in a 4000+ cubic foot room. That's what the TH50 was doing, and with little wattage I might add. The rated 3000 watt amp we had on it was only lighting up the -20 dB light on the meter of the amp. That equals out to between 30 watts on the low end and max 300 on the high end. It still had a good bit of room to work with.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
How did the Shiva-X play the Bass I Love You song? Like, did it have quite a bit of bass?

Thanks
It did pretty well. It obviously didn't hit the dB levels the larger subs did, but it did perform. With the tuning at about 22 hz, the low 16 and 7 hz tones were below what it was designed for, but at levels we had it playing it didn't overdo itself.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Try modeling your driver in winisd with your same box. Input your wattage and see what the corresponding excursion level is. I am pretty sure that is a 16 hz tone. If that is the case and you have a 15.4 hz tune then the port has taken over mostly at that point meaning there is very little demand on the driver. That's probably what it is. Be careful if you don't have a high pass filter. That low tone will bottom your driver at high levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.