Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
I went to the Danley site to read up on the TH50. Interesting!

So even if the TH50 was down 7-10db between 20 and 30Hz, it still had more output down low than the sealed 18s when playing program material?

Discussion starter · #46 ·
How did the Shiva-X play the Bass I Love You song? Like, did it have quite a bit of bass?

Thanks
It did pretty well. It obviously didn't hit the dB levels the larger subs did, but it did perform. With the tuning at about 22 hz, the low 16 and 7 hz tones were below what it was designed for, but at levels we had it playing it didn't overdo itself.

I'll just echo what Brandon said because he summed it up pretty well. The Shiva was impressive and had good output with that track but was obviously outgunned by the more powerful subs there and was missing the lowest notes due to the 22hz tune and the 20hz HPF.

LMS 18
$1900 (driver, beefy amp, box, hardware, cords, EQ, etc) sealed 18", 21.5 x 21.5 x 21.5", or about 6.2 cu ft external.

I won't say too much here because it's mine. No HPF was used. I pushed it up to where it was driven very hard on the THX trailer, but was still ok and then let it rip with the 8002 bridged. It ran through everything with no further adjustment needed. It was dimpling the surround a bit on Bass I Love You (16hz). Uneventful other than that. I thought it had the best pure sound of all of the subs.

XXX 18
$1900 (driver, beefy amp, box, hardware, cords, EQ, etc) sealed 18", 24.5x 24.5x 36" or about 12.5cu ft external

This one was mine as well so I won't post much. Similar to the LMS, I used the THX trailer and set it to where it was ok with that but being pushed very hard. No HPF, bridged 8002. On Bass I Love You, the excursion got out to the "outer limits" (16hz, 7hz) it ran through everything else easily. The most sub 25hz bass of the day up till then IMO. Sounded similar to the LMS (very good) on the music with a tad less punch and extension up top (music) but more reach and headroom down low (HT). Probably the highest output levels of the day up to that point.
I am disappointed you had to be modest, cuz those were the two I most hoped to hear in grave detail.

At any rate, I think these GTGs is a wonderful idea, I thank you all for your information and hope you all had a great time.

After experimenting with different tunings with my LLT in-car, I retuned to 18Hz rather than 15.5Hz because of Bass I Love You, as I was told it was an 18Hz tone. Once I get my driver recone completed and run a sweep to test tuning, I'm going to once again cut the port out and redo it back to 15.5Hz! Steve Callas gave me a little guff over my Bass I Love You excursion vid, but that's OK... Steve, YES! I thoroughly enjoy it! Thank you very much. :foottap: hahahaha. At any rate, I now have to find that THX track, and re-look for Bass Mekanik: Toccata and Fugue‏ as I always searched as "Toccata in B" and just couldn't find it...oops.

Thank you guys so much!

btw, pics link didn't work for me...

I will check the link when I get home from work today to see why its not working.
Posted via Mobile Device
thank you! I got a LOT out of this thread, it is really appreciated. wish I couldda been there. BTW, how were the tones in "Bass I Love You" determined? reason I ask, is I have run and rerun my math on an old enclosure, it should be tuned to 15Hz but it had more excursion on the 16Hz or 18Hz tone than it did on the 25Hz and 30Hz tones. NO leaks, everything is sound.

Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Try modeling your driver in winisd with your same box. Input your wattage and see what the corresponding excursion level is. I am pretty sure that is a 16 hz tone. If that is the case and you have a 15.4 hz tune then the port has taken over mostly at that point meaning there is very little demand on the driver. That's probably what it is. Be careful if you don't have a high pass filter. That low tone will bottom your driver at high levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Try modeling your driver in winisd with your same box. Input your wattage and see what the corresponding excursion level is. I am pretty sure that is a 16 hz tone. If that is the case and you have a 15.4 hz tune then the port has taken over mostly at that point meaning there is very little demand on the driver. That's probably what it is. Be careful if you don't have a high pass filter. That low tone will bottom your driver at high levels.
Posted via Mobile Device
the SSF was set to 15Hz, I believe it's 24dB/octave. Power was insane, 1700RMS (on an IB3!) and it wanted more, so I ordered a dual 2 ohm recone kit so I can run parallel 1 ohm. the amp is rated 2600 RMS @ 1 ohm, 1700 RMS at 2. I think 1700 was plenty, but the amp was clipping severely trying to do it into a 2 ohm load. I no longer have the amp or 6 batteries, I haven't completed the recone...just have to solder leads, still have the box but I retuned it to 17Hz thinking Bass I Love You was 18Hz, the lowest I wanted to go.

I'll be finishing the recone and doing some sine sweeps to check things out. Thanks again!

thank you! I got a LOT out of this thread, it is really appreciated. wish I couldda been there. BTW, how were the tones in "Bass I Love You" determined? reason I ask, is I have run and rerun my math on an old enclosure, it should be tuned to 15Hz but it had more excursion on the 16Hz or 18Hz tone than it did on the 25Hz and 30Hz tones. NO leaks, everything is sound.

Thanks again.
Actually the tones in bass I love you aren't a pure sine wave. The lowest one is mostly 6-8hz stuff and the next one up is 16-18hz stuff. This was determined through spectral analysis.

Actually the tones in bass I love you aren't a pure sine wave. The lowest one is mostly 6-8hz stuff and the next one up is 16-18hz stuff. This was determined through spectral analysis.
what analyzer do you use?

I'm thinking that the link for the pics has changed on flickr. There's still a few pics on my thread over at avs. Here's a few pics. I'll try to get with the other member to see if he has a better link for the rest of the pics.
man you guys had a CLUTTER there! I didn't realize how much Sd the LMS had to gain with the tall surround...I was expecting to be looking at the XXX with a huge fat surround in that sealed test enclosure. Thanks for the pics! I should lurk over there at AV a little more.

what analyzer do you use?

man you guys had a CLUTTER there! I didn't realize how much Sd the LMS had to gain with the tall surround...I was expecting to be looking at the XXX with a huge fat surround in that sealed test enclosure. Thanks for the pics! I should lurk over there at AV a little more.
Spectrum labs.

Actually the LMS doen't have any more SD than the XXX. The LMS frame is 18.5" and the XXX frame is 19" od. XXX has a bigger cut-out as well.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.