Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I continue to discover this fabulous world of audio and PEQ.
First, with AM dual core 2.0, I EQ'ed the sub (pink curve).
Second, I made a room measurements of my fronts speakers with the sub Off, receiver to stereo, crossover into the receiver was set at 120hz (dark curve).
My question (do not laugh at me !!) :
Do those to curves can help me to choose the best crossover. I figured that 110hz or 160hz would be better than 120hz.
Help and commentaries appreciated.
Thank for your time

[/B] graphe sub et Fronts.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,285 Posts
The best crossover frequency is usually about 80-90 Hz. If you get much higher than that, you start being able to localize the sub, and also male voices start appearing in the sub as well, which will make them sound “boomy.” The only good reason to set a higher crossover frequency is if your speakers are small and don’t reach below 80 Hz.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, 120hz was too high but do I interprete correctly those graphs if I say that 110 hz could be better in this case for a smooth transition between the sub and my fronts because at this FR the 2 curves nearly joined?
The specs of my PSB Alpha B fronts are 65hz-21 000hz +-3dB (5,25 inches woofer) but the black curve seems to show better above 100hz, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
9,285 Posts
You said the black trace had a crossover at 120 Hz engaged. So sure - it’s going to look best above 100 Hz. The PSBs aren’t going to be able to get down to 65 Hz if you have a 120 Hz filter on them.

That said, 110 Hz would not be an unreasonable crossover setting for speaker with such small woofers. :T

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts