Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I saw somewhere that someone had one on the way, but I cant now find it. The US market is a bit harder for me to follow, so do any of you guys know anything of these, or have I got it wrong?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ED do a 1300 watt plate amp ( I have 2 sat in my home as we speak), but ive not seen higher. I'm looking to see if I can find where I think I saw it, but I'm sure Ive seen it mentioned somewhere that someone is working on a 2KW plate amp. I cant see anything on ED's site to suggest this though, and I cant find anything suggesting Dayton might be working on such an amp so far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
According to some tests they have done, the amp met its advertised power specs. It seems to be a large plate amp, but has fans, not as loud as some pro amps but some noise will be there. I wonder how audible will it be, specially when the "louder" fan kicks in. I asked, and if they sell these amps, it will be $700 each and have a one year warranty. I also wonder how reliable they will be. I do think if everything is as advertised, the price is not bad for a plate amp of this caliber.

I do have the ED LT1300 plate amp and while it's powerful for a plate amp, I need more power for my LMS Ultra 15" sub w/PR's. I'm looking to at least double my power. Basically, I'm debating whether to go with this plate amp option (it might be a few weeks before it's delivered) or a small pro amp since I have limited space. Something like a Yamaha P7000 pro amp which provides even more power, it's the same price or a little cheaper, it's a reliable unit and from what I hear, it's a quiet unit.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I am asking is because I have sold the components that make my sub, and I am going to replace it with 2 dual opposed driver subs. I want 2 so need to reduce the size of my sub, plus 4 15" drivers should offer noticeable improvements. I would like to us a good plate amp for each if possible, but if not, then I will get a better quality pro amp. I have a bit of time to search for a good plate amp, so I'll see what appear if anything. Only problem for me is all the best stuff is in the US and importing stings me a fair bit.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There are 2 to 4kw plate amps but they are sold direct to manufacturer's of completed speaker systems and not to end consumers. :sad:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The reason I am asking is because I have sold the components that make my sub, and I am going to replace it with 2 dual opposed driver subs. I want 2 so need to reduce the size of my sub, plus 4 15" drivers should offer noticeable improvements.
I think 4 15"s should be noticable.:flex:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sure hope Funky Waves will make these 2400-watt plates available. Testing has went well to this point and made the power they were looking for (2400 rms/4000-peek). Basically what the EP4000 dose with out the fan noise. Well they have fans also (funky wave plate) though much much quieter.

Currently these will only be seen in own their 18" subs, BUT they are seriously considering the DIY market, time will tell.

Keiga is looking into high power plates also, 1500 to 2.5k rms. This is pass around word of mouth currently, nothing solid on this all.....

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think with modern driver technology getting so good, there is anew market for these kinds of plate amps. I wanted to build 2 dial driver subs with plate amps but there isnt on available that allows it with the drivers I wanted, well not with out serious under powering. Sealed subs at least will require this kind of power, not sure how the sealed DIY market is, but I would expect it to be lass popular due to costs.

That fact has now got me looking at an IB install instead :devil:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I thought Funky Waves had a unit ready to go. They were testing a 2,400watts (peak of 4,000watts) plate amp about two weeks ago and the testing was going well (meeting specs). Price is $700, with a one year warranty. They said if there was enough demand, they would sell it to the public. Perhaps someone can call them to find out the status of those amps. I also have been thinking of getting something in that power range to power my LMS driver, in the convenience of a plate amp. I believe it has a two fan mode, with the loudest set at around 54db's, how loud will that be say at 10ft away?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The tests were being conducted at the end of July and they mentioned taking pre-orders within a couple of weeks.
Also the low fan mode is 40db's at 1' and 52db's at 1' for the high fan. They also mentioned that it did not trip a 15A breaker in tests they did.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I was really hoping that those big plate amps were going to production but, judging from the response, I guess they didn't make it.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive not seen or heard anything on the big power front. I wouldnt hold my breath at this point . . . . unfortunately :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts