Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know a couple of people here use them, but I haven't seen many recent "meaty" comments on the Rythmik subs in comparison to other DIY subs, or even commercially available subs, like the fathom 113.

What's the general consensus on these relatively small subs? My priority is primarily 2-channel, but it is also an HT setup and I'd use 2 subs in a rather large room (~6000 cft+).

I am new here so I appologize if this has been covered to death. My search didn't turn up much.

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
The Rythmik 12" servo kit is possibly one of the easiest subs to blend with bookshelf speakers that have less than admirable output below 80hz. It sounds incredibly clean, has great transient response, and awesome output capabilities. Adjustable Q and extension settings on the amp, completely variably phase from 0-180 degrees, and awesome extension without help from an external PEQ. Overall a great value in a decently small package. Anything else you wanna know? :D

Overall, it'll make a great addition to any 2-channel setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Robert,

Do you think the Rythmiks are in the 113 "league" for their performance? It seems like you're one of the only ones around here using Rythmik.

They do have a very thorough set of set-up adjustments, and claim to be very musical, which is what I am looking for. I am not that thrilled about the prospect of spending that much on a pair of 133s, but building some Rythimiks sounds very attractive both financially and from the "fun project" perspective.

Performance is what ultimately counts for me though.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
When you say the same league as the F113, do you mean in terms of SPL? If so, the answer would be no since the driver can't overcome the laws of physics with its smaller cone area, and lesser excursion.

How large is the room we're talking about?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dave,

Have you had a look at the 2007 subwoofer tests thread. You'll find the 12" Rhythmik evaluated there (but not the Fathom). I am currently building a new home and will have a basement theater that will be 4500 cubic ft and open to another room. I am planning on dual 15" rhythmik subs. I am only in the ordering and box building stage at present so I can't comment on sound quality at present. However, I will point out that the 12" sealed sub has great low end extension, plays >100 dB down to 30 Hz (if you only listen at 90 db then it is flat down to 15 Hz), has very little harmonic distortion in the audible range above 40 Hz and has fantastic results for group delay and decay time/ringing. The Rhythmic site performance graphs show about 5 - 6 dB more output across the spectrum for the 15" driver and a bit lower extension (though who needs extension lower than 15 Hz?). Plus, you can get 2 15" driver and amp kits for less than the cost of 1 fathom.

These are just my thoughts, and as confessed above, I have already decided to go with Rhythmik. Hope it helps you in your decision making process.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I built a DS12 Rythmik kit, using the plans Brian has on his site.

Pretty simple build.

Sounds fantastic running alongside my Ascend Sierras, and according to my REW sweeps (only using the RS meter with cal file), has very good extension at reasonable SPL.

I'm pretty happy with it, and IMO it is more than enough for the average enthusiast...

For folks that want REALLY high SPL, they should probably look elsewhere, starting with llkkas test results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave,

Have you had a look at the 2007 subwoofer tests thread. You'll find the 12" Rhythmik evaluated there (but not the Fathom). I am currently building a new home and will have a basement theater that will be 4500 cubic ft and open to another room. I am planning on dual 15" rhythmik subs. I am only in the ordering and box building stage at present so I can't comment on sound quality at present. However, I will point out that the 12" sealed sub has great low end extension, plays >100 dB down to 30 Hz (if you only listen at 90 db then it is flat down to 15 Hz), has very little harmonic distortion in the audible range above 40 Hz and has fantastic results for group delay and decay time/ringing. The Rhythmic site performance graphs show about 5 - 6 dB more output across the spectrum for the 15" driver and a bit lower extension (though who needs extension lower than 15 Hz?). Plus, you can get 2 15" driver and amp kits for less than the cost of 1 fathom.

These are just my thoughts, and as confessed above, I have already decided to go with Rhythmik. Hope it helps you in your decision making process.
Well put, I just received two DS1500 kits today and I can't wait to get done with the boxes. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
you may want to check out GR Research also, They have a new woofer designed in partnership with Rythmic for servo use. The woofers cost a little less. You can use the rythmic amps, or wait until GR releases theirs, hopefully soon.

If you want high spl's go with multiples or ported. The dual 8ohm's with the 550 watt amp would be sweet, or a pair of duals.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=47310.0

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
you may want to check out GR Research also, They have a new woofer designed in partnership with Rythmic for servo use. The woofers cost a little less. You can use the rythmic amps, or wait until GR releases theirs, hopefully soon.

If you want high spl's go with multiples or ported. The dual 8ohm's with the 550 watt amp would be sweet, or a pair of duals.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=47310.0
Wow, i totally missed that information. Those look like a contender.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Rythmik 12" driver is quite close to the TC1000 12" I use in a opposed firing sealed sub(2cu ft per driver,separate chambers). Crown XTi 1000 driving.

The sound quality is not lesser than a Fathom f112 or f113(I have these too). The output of the Fathom will be higher as these modded W7 drivers can move more air. When pushed I was almost in fear the glue would not hold and at some point the driver fail.

I compared and tried to ...no,sound quality is about on par. The extreme excursion drivers like the W7 sound great when not pushed too far.As soon as you start to reach the claimed excursion ,distortion jumps and they are not as graceful dare I say as a TC1000 pushed a bit beyond its 24mm Xmax.

With the JL's you pay for the mighty driver,amp and custom almost everything.You can do much better with multiple Rythmik 12" ,each woofer having a fraction of teh load.And still spend much less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to jump in but I also had a question about the Rythmik kits.

Right now I have a SVS PB12 Ultra and I have been thinking about getting something new. The only complaint I have ever had with the SVS is the midbass. The low stuff is awesome and it literally moves the floor but it doesnt have that tight punch.

I was thinking about getting two of the sealed 15" kits. How would these compare to what I have now? I would assume the larger driver would still give me the low end but how would the higher freqs compare to the Ultra sub?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Sorry to jump in but I also had a question about the Rythmik kits.

Right now I have a SVS PB12 Ultra and I have been thinking about getting something new. The only complaint I have ever had with the SVS is the midbass. The low stuff is awesome and it literally moves the floor but it doesnt have that tight punch.

I was thinking about getting two of the sealed 15" kits. How would these compare to what I have now? I would assume the larger driver would still give me the low end but how would the higher freqs compare to the Ultra sub?
Well according to Ilkka's measurements, the 12" kit (which i assume the 15" kit performs similarly to) had among the lowest distortion @ and around 80hz. It appears that the upper range is not where the Rythmik struggles with output or distortion. I haven't had the chance to hear an SVS so I couldn't really give subjective comparisons of the two. Two 15" servo kits should definitely produce lots of scary low output. Many have reported good things about the Rythmik's extension down low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll know what two 15's sound like real soon! The picture below is just a mock-up from Tuesday, but I just finished gluing and clamping them moments ago. I expect to have the time this weekend to add some fiberglass insulation and fire them up. I'm beyond excited about this (ask my wife- wait a minute, don't bother her ... she is still a bit annoyed about having two of these)!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I'll know what two 15's sound like real soon! The picture below is just a mock-up from Tuesday, but I just finished gluing and clamping them moments ago. I expect to have the time this weekend to add some fiberglass insulation and fire them up. I'm beyond excited about this (ask my wife- wait a minute, don't bother her ... she is still a bit annoyed about having two of these)!

SWEET, looking forward to your impressions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally got them done- they sound great. I have zero regrets about this purchase (and that is rare for me). Here are some low-quality pics:

I brought an old Sony sub out of the closet for comedic value:

On a similar note, I am almost done with my home theater (still have to build an equipment rack, bass traps and hang curtains though). Take a look:

Before

After:

*Click to enlarge any of these pics.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts