Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever built a curved 16:9 with success? Wondering what could be done to offset the edge flare, or if I'm out of luck.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
There are few reasons to go with curved screens anymore, but most people that do live with the end flares. It would be possible to get rid of them by tapering both the top and the bottom edges of the screen on both the right and left sides, but I have no idea what math would be involved. And even if you did that you would still have either the center or the sides of the screen be in sharp focus (you pick which). There is software for correcting one (or both, I forget) of these problems, but it's pretty expensive IIRC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touche. After reading 30 pages about curved screens, I'm wondering about the manufactured curved 16:9 screens, and what people are doing with them. Looks like the most common radius is 40' or 30'. I can't imagine that there that many using them unless the distortion is minimal at that radius.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I don't really know much about curved screens except that they were needed back in the days of the early CRT front projectors because they were so dim even in a "bat cave" home theater they needed high gain screens that would have hot spotted greatly if they were flat. The curve made the screen focus most of it's reflected light into a relatively small area where the seats were placed.

I hope someone here that has experience with curved screens can give you more help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Harp is partially correct. What do want a curved screen for? Most digital guys are doing it for CIH anamorphic screens. The other reason is to use a high gain screen with good uniformity. CRTs could do it, because they have lenses that have independent edge focus. Digitals don't have that, so there is no way to correct the edge focus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aesthetics mostly. I understand the reasons behind using it with anamorphic lenses for correction, and for fixing hotspotting issues with HG screens or with CRT PJs. I'm not trying to "fix" anything, other than I love the look and prescence. I'm willing to deal with some anomalies, but not going to go far out of my way for a curved screen. I'd like to see one of the 40' radius curved screens look like w/ a 16:9 PJs, but have not yet been able to find any pics as of yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts